Mary
Mary
  • Saint Francis, KS
Asked on Dec 20, 2018

How do I keep outdoor decorations from getting damaged?

MarySue PeetNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+3

I live in a high wind area and I have stopped putting any out that is light weight. I have lost many a decoration to the wind. Help.

• Bijous

Hi. Establish a plan for your decorations on a sheet of paper. Where everything is to go screw in anchors, either in the wood of the house, brick or ground. Then every year you can secure your decorations to the permanent anchors. Happy decorating!

• Oliva

Using better gauge wiring wrapped multiple times around branches, etc. should preclude their becomming detached. Place bricks or rocks in the base of large planters. Secure items with high strength fishing line tied to large rocks, outdoor patio tables, porch railings, awnings.

Use 6" landscape pins of heavy gauge metal to add more security at ground level, then place multiple bricks decorated as gifts on top of the pins.

• Don't use any flimsy decor and anchor into the ground the decor that you do have. Being safe is more important than being pretty!

• Sue Peet

What kind of decorations do you have? I created little Christmas trees from tomato cages so the bricks are put usually on top of the metal parts. I also have a penguin that has a metal frame that also has a brick put on the base and the bricks keep my decorations from moving.

• Mary

I had large plastic Christmas Balls hanging off the front porch, the wind left only the hanger on some of them, the ball part long gone.

• Jamie Boyce

Try hot gluing the hanger part (or gorilla glue, construction adhesive, etc., if you have time to let them cure) prior to hanging them out next time. I also use longer wires for my outdoor ornaments so I can wrap them onto my decor for security. It is a bummer to take down, but I don't lose anything during storms.