Asked on Dec 20, 2018

How do I stop my dog from urinating on my carpet?

Lynn SorrellGkCindy
+5

My last two houses had hardwood floors which I loved. I recently moved into a carpeted apartment with my two little dogs. They seem to think the carpet is grass and are peeing everywhere. I am putting them out 6 to 10 times a day, but they still come in and mess the carpet. How do I stop this behavior? They aren't old, and they aren't sick, just determined to use the carpeting.

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

The carpet probably has old pet urine smells on it from the prior owner. The first step is to remove carpet, which you cannot do since you rent. You're going to loose your deposit anyway, so see if landlord would replace the carpet or you replace with solid vinyl that looks like wood, if they would let you. Other than that you almost have to be brutible firm and punish with each mistake, crate them, try to piddle pad train, try the discipline can-that one worked great for me. May have to call a pro trainer if all else fails.

• Ginger the farm gal
    Ginger the farm gal

The carpet may have scent from dogs before, I would try vinegar and water after testing a spot first to clean the carpet, or a special carpet cleaner for pets. Try some bakin soda first to see if that helps. A & hammer makes one that is safe for pets, to sprinkle on carpet. Hope that helps.

• Judy
      Judy

You need to train the dog.

I love my dog so much but it constantly did the things that irked me most. It would chew on things that it shouldn’t or jump up and down out of the blue. Whenever I put on the leash, it would pull on it. Whenever it was out of the house, it would continue digging on the ground - I wish I could tell what it was looking for down there. All the things it did left me feeling depressed as if I failed it monumentally.

But since I discovered Brain Training for Dogs and applied the system offered, it now behaves the way a beautiful dog I always expect of.

• Try piddle pads. And talk to your vet. They just need to learn carpet isn't grass. Be patient as they dont understand the difference. Will see what I can find to help you out. See if these help.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/pets/dog-behavior/case-study-the-formerly-housetrained-dog

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Dog-Behavior-Accidents-After-Moving

https://www.care.com/c/questions/29834/why-is-my-house-trained-dog-peeing-on-all-our/

• Cindy
    Cindy

Dogs that lived there before prob started the process. You might not smell it but the dogs do.... Assuming they didn't pee inside your old place? I'd hire a well known, reputable carpet cleaning company to come in and clean your carpets. Tell them what had been going on and be specific when you schedule the appt and when the service rep arrives. You want them to use a "urine neutralizer". If you want to do it yourself with your own or rented cleaner there is a product you can buy called FRANKLIN'S DISAPPEAR. It costs about $35 a gallon but is VERY concentrated. I think some janitorial supply stores sell it but I order mine directly from the company. It is a total neutralizer.

If the dogs used to pee in your old place reply to this and i can give you tips for re-training them. Without fixing the carpet no retraining then will help. They are just doing what is natural to them.

• Gk
    Gk

Vinegar doesn't really remove the urine smell. The nose of a dog has 220 million smell receptors--humans only have 50 million. (or something like that!!) So you may not be able to smell the old urine but the dogs can. You need to use an enzyme cleaner. Nature's Miracle Advance Formula is one product. You can purchase it on Amazon. It is about $20.00 for one gallon but well worth the price.

• Lynn Sorrell
    Lynn Sorrell

Do as Cindy suggests. Nothing over counter will help It only pleases your nose by removing what you can smell Commercial grade from janitorial supply is only option that will work. This used to be sold like that in concentrate but now on regular market & diluted/pre mixed but does the job it works. https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Pet-Odor-Remover-Stinkers-Odor-Remover-Kills-Odors-Fast-Forever/361143373?goog_pla=1&gpid=76984043821&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o5&ad_type=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-v3l2rTQ3gIVFNVkCh3hrwoeEAQYBSABEgJ1kvD_BwE