Asked on Dec 20, 2018

How can I use these?

Twyla J BoyerBethCoachRick
+11

I have about 75 left over tub totes any thing I can make out of these

q any ideas
  • DesertRose

some people buy inexpensive Styrofoam coolers to put in them, hay between the cooler and the tub, and hay under the cooler, and on top, cut a hole in the cooler at the side bottom and matching at the tub and make a warm nest with a soft blanket for wild cats to have a place to get in out of winter, put out food and water too if you can. Just an idea, or donate to shelters to use for cats and small dogs there.

• Grammy

I would suggest NO blanket(s) as they retain moisture. Just their breath in cold weather can cause dampness. Great idea otherwise!

Hi Jenny: I was going to suggest something similar to DesertRose's comment, except I was going to suggest that you contact a cat rescue group in your area that deals with feral cats. But, cat stuff is the way to go:) Helping out the kitties is the best. And, you might be able to join a TNR (trap/neuter/release) group in your area. Look at your Humane Society's web site, or call them, and see if they participate in TNR. If so, you can trap kitties in a live trap, take them to wherever your group suggests and get the kitties spayed or neutered free:) You Trap them, they Neuter them, and you Release them. Easy as pie:) Everyone reading this should contact their Humane Society and see if they are a participant. Too many kitties starving and getting hurt out there. We can do some good for them. Good luck and thanks for reading.

• You could also remove the top and make self-watering planters out of some of them: https://growagoodlife.com/constructing-18-gal-self-watering-containers-swc/

• Elise

I bet the homeless, shelters, non-profits, VA, children’s services or nursing homes could use some. I like the recycling sorting ideas others have mentioned.

• Ren Shambley

Offer to homeless shelters especially places that cater to abused families. Much better containers for personal 'stuff' than your standard cardboard box.

• Pam Walker

SPRAY PAINT or DECOUPAGE them & use them for outdoor planters for large plants or flowers. PUT them on Etsy or Ebay & sell them. STACK them on their sides & use them for book cases putting a piece of wood in between them for easy stacking. USE them in a child's room for toys or dolls. SECTION one of them & use it for a doll house. PUT casters on one & a handle made from pvc & use it as a portable laundry basket or grocery cart (from your car into the house). CAT houses or small dog houses. Hot glue the lids shut. Turn upside down. Cut a door. Insert a throw blanket, straw or bedding. Decorate accordingly (dog or cat). PUT large casters on the bottom & a ""drawer pull"" handle on each side for lifting or a pvc made handle for easy transporting & use it for a leaf basket when raking leaves. Insert bag, fill with leaves, tie up & roll to destination using the handle. BURY one in your back yard & line it with a black waterproof tarp. Insert a water pump (usually for small fountains) into one side & hot glue around it to waterseal it. Fill your tote with water & start your pump to make sure it's working properly. You should have a long hose to work with. Stack up flat rocks, boulders, empty flower pots, old dishes, etc & you've got yourself a waterfall. Cover the surrounding top edge area with small rocks, flowers, potted plants, etc. hiding the top edge of the tote & tarp. You could use different totes for different places in your yard & have different looks to each of them. GOOD LUCK

• Jenny

Thanks everyone

• Sarah Sota

I use them for storing canning jars. They are excellent protectors so the jar rims don't get chipped.

• Alice

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but if I had that many of those things I would advertise and sell some of them. I'm sure you could get a lot of your money back.

• CoachRick

As you probably know, they are very handy when moving...no folding/unfolding boxes, tape, busted seams, etc. Especially if a move is a quick one, these types of boxes are great for packing up the kitchen, driving to the new place and unpacking...much better than cardboard(actually, I prefer the clear bins). They also come in very hand for storm clean-up and salvage. I know I sent a BUNCH to the Texas coast and other areas that were hit by bad storms.

• Beth

You could also ask the music and drama departments of some local high schools and colleges if they could use some for storing props, costumes, etc.

• Twyla J Boyer

What a wonderful thing to have in abundance! It wouldn't use that many, but maybe make various kinds of kits for events - a camping kit, a game night kit, a kids' sleepover kit, a trip to the beach kit, a Christmas party (or any themed party) kit. You could even use the kits as gifts complete with storage included.