A friend passed this little gem my way a few months ago. The top had cracked due to the pressure from the screws below. My 1st step was gluing the top back together with wood glue and clamping overnight. I don't have photos of this part of the makeover. The repair spawned the makeover.
Coffee Table / Telephone Stand Up-Cycle Part 1
An old dated coffee table and bland pine telephone bench are blessed with a new lease on life...
I cannot remember where this poor soul dropped out of DIY heaven. I have had it forever and used it as a training pad for some painting lessons I did in the past, as is obvious. I always kept it for "in-case" you all know how that is ... So the "in case" day arrived. A few pertinent measurements confirmed the dimensions so I knew we were onto something...Yay!
Our first step was to remove the drawer carefully from the actual bench. We were blessed as there were only a few screws holding it together. We dug out the old wood filler in each and unscrewed it. Only the base of the drawer was glued but careful prying with the chisel made sure we didn't damage the drawer structure itself.
Once we had the drawer off and with the top of the table off we got to planning fastening the drawer onto the carcass of the table. We had 5mm overlap on either side which I covered with a strip later. I turned the drawer upside down as I was going to be using the old top. We traced the base of the coffee table at this step to assist us in marking our holes. We pre drilled and countersunk all the wood screws we used.
Once the drawers were attached we followed the same process to attach the original table top. Due to the tension the top underwent and as I was going to be painting it we drilled from the top and attached with wood screws. As this was going to be a bedside table we created a flat back. I positioned the top more towards the front.
Afterwards I filled the holes with Spackle and gave the whole piece a good sanding. I also removed the horrible knob on the drawer and filled the hole left by the wooden handle that had been glued on.
I painted the bottom part of the pedestal in Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue, then techniqued a weathered look using Annie Sloan Pure. The top I kept Duck Egg Blue as a contrast.
I used a mixture of Interior/Exterior Crack filler mixed with some Annie Sloan Pure. I made it into a thickish paste, and stencilled it with the mixture. (It's something I have wanting to try for ages and I am so glad I did!
Afterwards I used Annie Sloan White wax to do more blending. There she is in all her glory! A brand new second hand Pedestal!