Jeanne
Jeanne
  • Saint Peters, MO

How to Make Your Own Chalk Paint. Recipe # 2

This is a recipe for making your own Chalk Paint. I have shared a recipe before using Plaster of Paris. I like that recipe, but decided I wanted to try something else. I use Calcium Carbonate as my additive for this recipe. This makes a True Chalk Paint.
I am not sure if this is my favorite recipe. I do like the coverage but also like the coverage that Plaster of Paris Paint gives me. I do have another recipe up my sleeve and will share with you soon! Stay tuned!
how to make your own chalk paint recipe 2, chalk paint, diy, how to, painted furniture
INGREDIENTS:
Calcium Carbonate Powder (limestone) 2-3 Heaping TBS
1-2 TBS of Warm Water
8 oz Flat Latex Paint ( already tinted)
Plastic storage container with lid/ plastic spoon: easy cleanup and storage.
This is not the most inexpensive recipe. I had to buy my Calcium Carbonate powder in bul, 10lbs.
First. Add your Calcium Powder to container .
Next, Add your water, add just a TBS at a time, to get right consistency. Not too runny, not too dry.
Next, you mix with spoon until you get a smooth consistency. You want almost a gravy like mixture. No lumps.
Now, you add your paint. Then stir, making sure all of the calcium mixture is throroughly blended.
You have just made Chalk Paint! I think it is best to let your paint sit at least an hour or so before you paint with it, just to let it level out. The lidded storage container makes it easy to come back and use again. Also, when you are finished, no clean up, just throw away.
When you paint, be sure to use the best quality brush. I like to use Purdy nylon brushes, this helps with not seeing brush strokes and even coverage. The bristles are super soft and easy to clean. I just use Dawn dish soap.
This recipe makes enough to cover one nightstand. Or possibly two chairs. You would need to double to cover a dresser or something larger. The great thing about making your own paint is you are not too invested in a color if you don't end up liking it! Just paint over it!
This is only 2 coats of my homemade Chalk Paint. Very good coverage!
This is what my piece looked like before I painted. I did not prime. The plastic like veneer on the top I sanded a bit before I started painting, to make sure the paint would adhere. Chalk Paint is fabulous and covers everything! Make your own today!

Jeanne

• Jay

Isn't calcium carbonate the same as baking soda?

Jay