Darlyne
Darlyne
  • Harpers Ferry, IA
Asked on Dec 22, 2018

How do I paint amber light fixtures?

DarlyneSuellen HintzCameron
+5

I have ceiling fans in all my rooms. The glass covers are an amber color. Can I paint over these or is there a way to take the amber color off?

• Alice

try just scrapping the color off. I had amber globes and when I washed them noticed that the color was only a weak wash of color. It came off with the scrubbie I used for the dishes

• Fiddledd224

You could just replace the globes. Take one to the home improvement store and ask them to find the correct size for you.

• Fiddledd224

Sorry about that...did you try an internet search under "ceiling fan globes"? You'd be surprised what's out there. Have a Merry Christmas 🎄

• Cameron

I had the same issue. I soaked the glass in hot water & Dawn. I left them overnight. Next day a scrubber and razor took off all the Amber.

• Suellen Hintz

You might have amber glass or clear glass with a coating. Just determine what they are. I can't understand why the people at the store couldn't help besides the fact they just hire bodies with no experience or imagination. All you really need is the measurement of the base of the globe...diameter. Go online and buy globes if you are unable to scrape the amber color off. Do a fan every few months to spread out the expense.

• Darlyne

Thank you!