Stock Tank Pool

1 Material
$700

I asked my husband to help me come up with a solution so we could stay cool in the Texas heat. It can hover around 100 degrees during July and August which make summer no fun. I wanted to be able to garden and have a way to cool down. We got a 6ft. by 2 ft. stock tank from Tractor Supply.
I started by looking at images of small pools and hot tubs. The https://katietreasures.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-watering-hole.html stock tank caught my eye. http://www.letsaddsprinkles.com/2014/06/the-watering-hole-our-stock-tank-pool.html
We had to level an area of the yard, make a platform with landscape timbers and decomposed granite.
We purchased a small pool pump from Leslie's Pool Supply. The hoses drape over the side and were threaded through a cinder block to keep them in the pool.[ https://katietreasures.blogspot.com/2016/06/setting-up-stock-tank-pool.html]We can get our water tested monthly. We didn't need to add chlorine because there was so much in our water already.
We added some flower pots.
The temperature of the water usually stays in a range between 75 -85 degrees. It is one of my favorite projects. If I were doing this for small children, I would add plastic mats in the bottom to prevent slipping.

• Decomposed granite, landscape timbers, pool pump  (Home Depot)

Katie Lloyd Mansfield

• Dor28400690

Can you add choline to the water or will it damage the finish of the tub?
  • Rosie

We live in southern California, how do you keep the water cool. ? Great idea for cooling off (if it stays cool)
    • Robbie

maybe you can make a shade tent..keep it under that ..it will keep it cooler

• Debbie

Love this idea. How much did the trough cost.?

• Pam Pinkert

Love this! Now I have a good project for next summer 😊💖🛠

• Cschurch

Such a smart idea! I love to float on a mat. Looks like just big enough to do that plus cool off! Thanks. I checked for the cost & CountyLine Large Galvanized Round End Stock Tank, 6 ft. W x 2 ft. H x 6 ft. L $279.99 Free pickup at store.