Susan
Susan
  • Chesterfield, MO
Asked on Dec 22, 2018

How do you clean grill or oven grates?

WendyGary RosenPaul
+3

• Elaine

I use a bunched up piece of aluminum foil when the grates are still hot. There’s also a metal grate cleaning tool that has digits to run along grates. We also wash them in the kitchen sink.

But for for anything I have grill questions on, I go here..

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/tools/bbq-cleaning-tools

Hi Susan: What I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste and put it on the gunk. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not. If you want to clean the oven floor and sides, a lot of people don't know, but on most stoves, the door comes off and the bottom of the oven also comes off. You don't have to take the door off to get the oven floor out. Sometimes it's hard to get the door back on:) There is no smell and it is environmentally safe. Good luck. Good luck.

• Cindy

I put them in the dishwasher when space allows.

• Paul

Try placing them in a large plastic bag with a cup or two of cloudy ammonia, seal it and leave it for 24 hours, then hose them down.....

• Gary Rosen

Place a towel/towels in the bath tub to prevent the oven grates from scratching the surface. Fill tub with hot water enough to cover the greats...add about a 1/4 cup dishwasher soap when filling the tub..let grates soak over night......finish cleaning with a sopnge. The easiest method of all

• Wendy

I put mine in the oven on self clean then both my oven and my grill grates get clean! I also put my drip things from my stove in there too!! All the pieces from my stove and grill go into my oven for self cleaning!