How do I clean an oven?

+3

What do you use to clean a non cleaning oven

• Tes Tes on Dec 23, 2018

oven cleaner, it will work better in a slightly warmed oven, but wear a mask. If you take out the shelves and put them in a black plastic bag, with about 2 tablespoons of ammonia, tie it closed and put out in the sun for a couple of hours, then you will not have to do a lot of scrubbing. depending on how dirty they are you may even only need to wipe them under running water. (It will be easier to put the shelves in the bag outside, so you don't to try to carry it outside)

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 23, 2018

Before my self cleaning oven I used oven spray oven cleaner. Get the aroma free kind. Let it set over night or warm the oven first at 250 or 225 and then spray it. Either way will make it work better. Wipe out using gloves and repeat as needed. Rinse completely. I spray my racks out on the back porch and leave it all night too, rinse them off outside, and finish them with SOS cleaning pads as needed. Hope this helps, Rick.

• Here's several ways:

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=how%20to%20clean%20oven

• Betsy Betsy on Dec 27, 2018

Hi Rick: What I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (use just a bit of vinegar at first as the cream of tartar sort of melts) and put it on the gunk. Maybe start out with 3 tablespoons of cream of tartar and a 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar. Add more of whatever to make a paste. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not. There is no smell and it is environmentally safe. A lot of people don't know, but on most stoves, the door comes off and the bottom of the oven comes off. You don't have to take the door off to get the oven floor out. Sometimes it's hard to get the door back on:) Good luck.