How do I repair a chip in granite?

+1

I have a chip about the size of a dime ( or slighty smaller) at the sink rim. Do I fill it ? or smooth over?

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 23, 2018

I would have it repaired, Gary. There are kits to fill them in, but, with the price of granite, I would pay a professional to do it.

• Larry miller Larry miller on Dec 23, 2018

There is special granite epoxy, to fill then polish, diamond granite pads 50 grit to 6000 grit.

It will take lotsa time, lotsa water, lotsa mess. If by chance you make a mistake...S.O.L.

I polish all my own rock, only several years invested.

Long and short, I WOULD NOT DO IT, GET A PRO, or replace the counter top!!!

• William William on Dec 23, 2018

You will need nail polish remover to clean the granite surface, straight razor blades, thick super glue (gel), and if you have a darker Granite Countertop you might want to have dark Sharpie marker. Start cleaning your chipped area with nail polish remover. Let the Granite air dry. Tape off the area surrounding the chip and apply just enough glue to fill the chip and rise just slightly above the surface of the stone. Filling the glue up to within flush of the surface of the tape should be sufficient. Once the super glue has completely dried and the tape removed, use a straight razor blade to remove the excess Super glue by “fanning” the excess material away. Wait and allow the glue to cure before cutting with the razor. The time it takes for the glue to cure depends on how deep the chip was, the humidity in the home, etc.(This next step only applies if you have darker Granite) Once desired results are achieved, you may wish to use a colored permanent marker such as a black Sharpie to color the super glue. A Sharpie is permanent and dries quickly. For lighter colored stones, this may not be necessary.