DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

DIY Christmas Sign

$5

If you've been following me for a while, you've seen me make a sign like this one before. If not, click right here to see it. I'm in love with the Bromello font, so I used it again to make this believe sign for Christmas.

diy christmas sign

My piece of board is 13" wide x 6" tall and maybe a 1/4" thick. Its just a scrap board that my uncle gave us a while back. Using my home printer, I printed out my word using the Bromello font, setting it at 265 pts for the size. This fit my board perfectly.

diy christmas sign

First, using my chip brush, I grabbed some red acrylic paint and painted the entire board (font side only) and let that dry really well.

diy christmas sign

While my paint was drying I went ahead and grabbed a pencil and on the back side of the print out, I covered the entire word with pencil like above.

diy christmas sign

Carefully, using washi tape, I added the printed word with pencil scribble to the front of my painted board. I used my embossing tool to trace the entire word. You can use the same pencil you used for the back if you don't have an embossing tool.

diy christmas sign

When you've traced the whole word, remove the paper and you should have an outline like this.

diy christmas sign

I used a fine tip brush and white acrylic paint to fill in my word. This is tedious and it takes a while, but its so worth it in the end.

diy christmas sign

GO SLOW and take your time. Turn the board as needed to keep from getting your hand in the wet paint.

diy christmas sign

When you're done it should look like this. What I like about the Bromello font is that its not perfect to start with, its a bit jiggly already, so if you're painting skills aren't perfect, you've still done a great job! :)

diy christmas sign

After I made sure the entire painted area was dry (I waited about 1 hour) I took it out to the shop and distressed it with some fine grit sand paper. I just grabbed a used piece of paper and a scrap 2x4 block and got to sanding.

diy christmas sign

Now its distressed like I like it. You do not have to do this step if you don't want to, its just how I like it. I got a damp paper towel and wiped all the dust off after I sanded it.

diy christmas sign

I framed it out with some scrap 1 x 2 wood. I first painted it and then distressed it too.

diy christmas sign

Thank you for looking! :)

• Scrap Wood  (Our stash)
  • Acrylic Paint  (Craft Stash)
  • Fine tip Paint Brush  (Craft Stash)
DeeDee