How do I repair and maintain my home foundation?


I have a water issues that continue to eat away my foundation in a few areas. How do i fill in the gap it has created and repair the foundation so it will stop it from re creating the problem? . I want to sell my house but will need to do some repairs first. Just need to do what I need to so I can sell?

  5 answers
  • Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Dec 24, 2018

    Brenda,. Have you tried one of Flex Seal products? It seems to make a rubber seal to keep out water. They advertise on TV, and they have a different flx seal for almost any project. You can probably get it t Home Depot. Aloha!

  • Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Dec 24, 2018

    Brenda...We contacted a contractor/engineer and he gave us a plan that would be best for our issues. Unfortunately, it was not cheap but necessary. We were not informed when we purchased our house that there was a problem and when we started a basement remodel we found a terrible situation. Our problem was we had 5 years from the purchase to report this and it was passed the time. In our area if it is not made known to the buyer... the seller would be responsible for repairs or to make the issue right... but the statute of limitations had passed, therefore, it was on us. Good luck and if you are selling, make sure you follow the rules that apply so nothing comes back on you!

  • Sam Sam on Dec 24, 2018

    Unfortunately, foundation issues are a homeowners worst nightmare. Water can do a lot of damage and band-aid fixes just put off the inevitable. Keeping water drained away from your foundation is imperative. You then address and repair the damage. This is usually outside the capabilities of the average homeowner. Do yourself a favor and consult a pro.

  • Get a structural engineer and soils expert out for an analysis. If it is more than you can afford to spend to fix properly, then sell the house "as is" disclosing the water intrusion issues so you don't get sued after you sell.

  • William William on Dec 24, 2018

    You need a foundation waterproofing pro.. You may need an outside french drain installed to divert water away from the foundation and the foundation waterproofed. Minor cracks can be filled with hydraulic cement but any other fix would be a band aid repair.