Shayla
Shayla
Asked on Dec 24, 2018

How do I remove rust from a toilet bowl?

CarolAnthonyShayla
+6

I have rust in my toilet bowl from old parts rusting inside of the toilet. Aside from replacing the indide parts, how do I clean the rust marks in the toilet bowl?

Try Coca Cola, vinegar and baking soda.

• Beth

Are you sure it's rust or is it from hard water? I get something similar in my toilet from hard water, plus there's a lot of iron in our water. I've used this Lysol Lime and Rust Remover to get rid of stains: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VUETY2/

• Beth

Over the summer, we had a lot more iron in our water, but we're on a well, so that may be different. In any case, I was told that because it was a dry summer, the well was probably drawing from a slightly deeper depth than usual, which led to the increase in iron and other minerals. Perhaps there's something similar going on with your city's water reservoir. Or perhaps you're right and it's rust!

• Shirley

Whink, found at most hardware stores. Be sure to follow directions and safety precautions as found on the label. It is quite caustic, but works great on porcelain and even white fabrics.

• Shayla

I've not heard of Whink, but I have not looked for it yet! Thank you for your help and the cautions about using it safely - it's going on my list!

• Anthony

Have you tried LCR?

• Carol

Shut off water to toilet then pour in a 2 liter bottle of Coke and let that set for a few hours. Next, just buck up and get the rusted parts out of the toilet tank!