Asked on Dec 25, 2018

How do I get the bumps out of an unrolled rug?

Veronica MichaelsonNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAPenny Cavve
+2

My rug has been rolled up in storage 8 months while we house hunted.. now my floors are in but rug has bumps in it.. does anyone think it will smooth out?

• Gk

It will smooth out as you walk on it and vacuum it. You may have to adjust the furniture as it flattens out. It will take a few days. Sometimes the corners will stick up and want to roll so put something heavy on those--I used some full paint cans on a cookie sheet to hold the corners down for a few days on a rug that I had ordered. It was rolled up for delivery. It flattened out nicely.

• Laura Cooper

Yes, it will relax eventually. If you can lay it flat in some warm sunshine, that will speed it up, or use a hairdryer to warm up and relax the fibers

• Penny Cavve

Take plastic milk jugs and fill them with water, then place them on the corners, or where needed. In time the rug will get the message and it will be like it was before it got rolled up. You can put foil or plastic wrap on the jugs if you think they might sweat.

• Or roll it up in the opposite direction for a few days to get the fibers to relax.

• Veronica Michaelson

Or use a carpet steam-cleaner on it. The steam will get the lums and bumps out as well as any wrinkles.