How do I start a small greenhouse?

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 25, 2018

The easiest is to make a tunnel over your raised bed out of PVC pipe bent into a loop, covered with heavy plastic. Build a rectangular frame, or use straw bales in a rectangular shape, set it on the ground at an angle and cover with an old window that you can prop open when needed. That's called a cold frame. You can buy small greenhouses for about $25.00.

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Dec 25, 2018

If you want to build one totally from scratch and not buy a kit, how small is your definition of “small”? Table top? Walk-in?

How long do you expect it to last?

Do you have access to a circular saw & different blade types?

If it’s walk-in size, then I’d use treated lumber 2x4’s and “Kalwall” type double layer acrylic sheets (I buy mine at Menards). The seams can be sealed with exterior grade clear caulk or silicone.

• Khawkey Khawkey on Dec 25, 2018

Another easy tunnel is to use a cattle pannel and bend into an arch. Use long carpenter nails to secure into the earth + cover with greenhouse plastic. We prefer this to the PVC piping because you can leave in place as supports for tomates or any other kind of veg during the growing season.