How can I paint cabinets without sanding?

+2

• Pamela Pamela on Dec 25, 2018

Hi ! I painted my cabinets without sanding or using a primer. I did a lot of research and found two methods I liked that saved me time ( and mess ) by skipping those 2 steps ! Both were equally good. The first.( Which I did not use ) was using a chalk paint, they come in tons of colors . Then finishing it with a sealing wax , that goes on like a stain, brush it on then wiping it off. The wax comes in clear or antique .

The 2nd way ( which I used ) was advance paint by Benjamin Moore . It is a hybrid paint, combined soap and water clean up acrylic base , but dries hard like an enamel. I do recommend using a spray cleaner , Krud Kutter de glosser , first . It not only cleans , but gets off years of oil , grease and polish plus it takes off the shine.

Good luck !!!!

• Betty Albright-Bistrow Betty Albright-Bistrow on Dec 25, 2018

Hi Leigh! I have listed several information links you can check out to see if they are what you need. Good luck. Merry Christmas to you!

https://www.hgtv.com/design/rooms/kitchens/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets-without-sanding-or-priming-pictures

https://www.uglyducklinghouse.com/kitchen-cabinet-paint-prep/

• William William on Dec 25, 2018

People claim chalk paint needs no prep. Never used it so I wouldn't know. Otherwise you will need to lightly sand to remove any shine and roughen for paint. Yuo don't need to sand down to raw wood.

How to Paint Cabinets

Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 100 grit sandpaper or a green Scotch Brite pad.. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like KILZ. Acrylic or water base paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd or oil-based paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.

• I only did a light sand job on the cabinets, but the key was that I used a bonding primer. You want to make sure that the paint you pick is durable enough for a kitchen. Here's the link to the post that I did.

https://www.cribbsstyle.com/how-to-paint-cabinets-not-just-for-your-kitchen/

• Rebecca Taylor Rebecca Taylor on Dec 27, 2018

Hi Leigh, I am getting ready to do mine and the only prep work I am doing is cleaning very well. I had looked up a lot of articles to see if I could mix the paint with polyurethane and yay, you can. If you mix it half and half it will kind of look like lacquer so that is what I am going to do. The poly will make it stick to the cabinet which eliminates the prep work. You don't have to mix it half and half, that is just my choice. The more poly you use the more transparent it will be so I will have to put on more coats so that it is opaque like paint but I like the lacquer look. I am waiting for my landlord to drop off the materials so I can't tell you just yet what it looks like and how well it goes on and stays on. I am hoping he will drop it off tomorrow so I can get started. I am going to take pictures and put up a project for it. I just wanted to eliminate putting poly on in a separate step but it just makes sense that poly will stick to poly. If you mix in less poly and will still make it stick and it said that it makes the paint tougher. Sorry I am blabbing on but I am so excited to see how it turns out. Good luck on yours.