Create Your Own Garden Flower for Under $5

$5

Run to the Dollar Tree while you still can! $1 and you can create a beautiful and unique flower to add to your garden-no watering needed!
On my most recent trip to Dollar Tree to find a frame I saw these chip /dip plastic dishes on top of a gondola and I got super excited! (Okay doesn't take much at my age but when an idea hits you -run with it) I knew right away what I could do with them so I bought a couple to see if my idea would work...
and boy did it!
If you are like me, you like to add a bit of whimsy to your garden and creating some whimsy is even more fun. I knew for a long time I wanted to create some flowers to place under bushes and randomly throughout. (I do not think these would make good stepping stones because they are not deep enough but I will work on it).
I happen to have the ingredients to make hyptertufa so I mixed a batch enough to fill 2 of these trays last night and could not wait until this morning to run outside (after my coffee) to see if they turned out. After I popped them out I put them in the sun to dry some more before painting them a few hours later with my last bit of spray paint. I am leaving one natural to see how it ages and now I have to make more and my next batch will be out of concrete to make thicker for stepping stones.
What do you think? I estimate about $5 in material for both flowers and stop by my blog and see what my concrete garden flowers look like with instructions!
Happy gardening everyone!
Creating, inspiring, and gardening without the rules!
$1 at the Dollar Tree. I just love my new flowers!
Easily popped out of the mold.
I left one natural and spray painted the other purple with some black underneath for the center. The possibilities are endless!

The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Mary Jo

The directions are not complete - what did you use to put in the molds if not cement?

• Ren

It says she uses Hyptertufa, it also says she is going to try concrete next.

• Karen

I tried this, but it broke where the sections divide. Did you use very thick cement?

• Louise

Do u coat the dish before adding cement? How easily does the hardened stone come out of the dish ?

• Michelle

I really love this idea I’m gonna buy a few of these and glue a couple together paint them to look flowers put wholes on each side and hang them on my fence where I have my flower garden just spruce up the area also when my actual flowers have bloomed and passed I will have these to add a little color to my greenery.

• Ren

I’m going to try that except I’m gonna try to insert green rebar so I can put them in the ground.

• Gay Bishop

Yes, definitely will try these both hypertufa and with cement!!