Shabby Chic Trunk Re-do

$10.00

I found this trunk along side of the road with a Free sign. It was missing parts, cracked wood and rusty. So I decided to paint with white chalk paint, a touch of the palest aqua accents and Martha Stewart's Mercury silver on the hardware. I first gave the whole thing a coat of Kilz to cover all the stains.
Before photo I almost forgot to take. Had already started to paint it with the Kilz.
The inside tray was cracked, stained and split.
I found an old book from the turn of the 20th century that was in pretty bad shape and wallpapered the inside with the pages. The interior of the tray I glued scrapbook papers and covered with Mod Podge. All the pages and papers are actually glued to cardboard pieces cut to fit. That way if I want to change out the style I just need to pry out the cardboard. The front left corner was missing a wood piece so I covered it with the rose lace. I also added lace and flowers I made to the inside of the lid.
Close up detail of the inside of the lid. I edged the lid piece with flat ecru lace and the tray pieces with aqua gimp edging I glued on with my glue gun. I am pretty happy the way it turned out. I still need to go to the store to buy some paste wax so I can wax the outside.
You can see more on my blog at goldrushgalcrafts.blogspot.com

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Everything Red For Canada Day
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful

• Sherry Lee

beautiful, I have same trunk I will do same after Xmas this year as part of bedroom make over. Thank you for sharing!

• Eric Blaise

Awesome job on the trunk. My wife and I did a similar project last summer, it was an old coffee table which I sanded down and stained to match the rest of our furniture. It turned out looking the way we wanted it to look but we did not quite figure out what we wanted to do with the interior. I think I like your newspaper idea, maybe I will try that when I have the time. Eric | http://www.blackwellenterprise1.com/default.asp?dept_id=36210