DIY Leather Plant Pot Sleeves

$10

This year I am embracing houseplants, endeavouring to keep them alive! Ceramic plant pots can be expensive so I have made leather sleeves to cover the plastic pots.

To make your own you will need long scraps of leather, I picked up a bag of leather off cuts at a car boot sale (I’m based in the Uk, my guess is that it the US this would be similar to a yard sale).

diy leather plant pot sleeves

Start be measuring the circumference of the top of the pot, plus the height of the pot.

diy leather plant pot sleeves

Measure out a paper template, the height and circumference of the pot. Add a further length, measuring the circumference, gradually decreasing the height. This is best explained in the diagram below.

diy leather plant pot sleeves

Cut out the leather using your paper template. Wrap around the pot. Using a glue such as E6000 glue the overlapping lather together.

diy leather plant pot sleeves

Hold in place until the glue sets. I suggest using paper clips so as not to indent the leather.

diy leather plant pot sleeves

Add a touch of decoration using a strong thread and leather needle. Stitch vertical stitches along the join.

diy leather plant pot sleeves

This takes a bit of strength!

diy leather plant pot sleeves

Click through to the blog post to see how to narrow the base of the leather plant pot sleeve.

diy leather plant pot sleeves
Vickymcreations

• Deanne

Rita

Why not use invisible thread? Or are the stitching supposed to show, as part of the decorations?

• Vickymcreations

I deliberately chose bold stitching to show, but if you prefer a different finish you could easily change to invisible thread.