DIY Leather Plant Pot Sleeves

$10

This year I am embracing houseplants, endeavouring to keep them alive! Ceramic plant pots can be expensive so I have made leather sleeves to cover the plastic pots.

To make your own you will need long scraps of leather, I picked up a bag of leather off cuts at a car boot sale (I’m based in the Uk, my guess is that it the US this would be similar to a yard sale).

Start be measuring the circumference of the top of the pot, plus the height of the pot.

Measure out a paper template, the height and circumference of the pot. Add a further length, measuring the circumference, gradually decreasing the height. This is best explained in the diagram below.

Cut out the leather using your paper template. Wrap around the pot. Using a glue such as E6000 glue the overlapping lather together.

Hold in place until the glue sets. I suggest using paper clips so as not to indent the leather.

Add a touch of decoration using a strong thread and leather needle. Stitch vertical stitches along the join.

This takes a bit of strength!

Click through to the blog post to see how to narrow the base of the leather plant pot sleeve.

Vickymcreations

• Deanne

Rita

Why not use invisible thread? Or are the stitching supposed to show, as part of the decorations?

• Vickymcreations

I deliberately chose bold stitching to show, but if you prefer a different finish you could easily change to invisible thread.