DIY Leather Plant Pot Sleeves

$10

This year I am embracing houseplants, endeavouring to keep them alive! Ceramic plant pots can be expensive so I have made leather sleeves to cover the plastic pots.

To make your own you will need long scraps of leather, I picked up a bag of leather off cuts at a car boot sale (I’m based in the Uk, my guess is that it the US this would be similar to a yard sale).

Start be measuring the circumference of the top of the pot, plus the height of the pot.

Measure out a paper template, the height and circumference of the pot. Add a further length, measuring the circumference, gradually decreasing the height. This is best explained in the diagram below.

Cut out the leather using your paper template. Wrap around the pot. Using a glue such as E6000 glue the overlapping lather together.

Hold in place until the glue sets. I suggest using paper clips so as not to indent the leather.

Add a touch of decoration using a strong thread and leather needle. Stitch vertical stitches along the join.

This takes a bit of strength!

Click through to the blog post to see how to narrow the base of the leather plant pot sleeve.

30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Memorial Day Crafts
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Vickymcreations

• Deanne
    Deanne

Rita

Why not use invisible thread? Or are the stitching supposed to show, as part of the decorations?

• Vickymcreations
      Vickymcreations

I deliberately chose bold stitching to show, but if you prefer a different finish you could easily change to invisible thread.

• Beltinka
    Beltinka

I love the look! How do they hold up over time? Are there mildew problems? Is there room for the saucer inside? Thanks for posting!

• Linda
    Linda

They look expensive and professional. Good job

• DN
    DN

These are so cool! Very unique and earthy design. I’m in love! 💕