DIY Solar Light Holder

$2

I just love creating things-it doesn't matter if it is out of barn boards, fence pickets, concrete, or hypertufa because when you think outside the box you can create so many cool pieces of garden art.
Working with either concrete or hypertufa does not always turn out but when it does you step back and say "WOW".
I had accomplished creating my flower and had some hypertufa left over so I could not waste
diy solar light holder, crafts, diy, outdoor living
After your first one you always find a way to make it better. next time I will carefully shape the hypertufa bit better around the hosta leaves.
Hypertufa mix from flower project-1 part sand, 1 part peat moss, and about 1.5 parts Portland cement mixed to about peanut butter.
I went and picked off 3 hosta leaves to use for this project
I mounded up the sand not too high and I carefully took the stems off the hosta leaves. I used the sand to make a point where I knew the solar light would go
Note: I spray the leaves with WD40 so they would not stick too bad. Any cooking spray or oily substance would work.
Just smeared it on the leaves
I liked the way the leaves look but they had to be peeled off. I took off some of the chunks and washed off the sand
After I peeled the hosta leaves off-I was so excited to see it turned out
I drilled a hole with a 1/2" masonry bit but the hypertufa is still so soft that a drill bit would work too
Use the hacksaw to cut the plastic tube down to the height you want
I definitely need to handle this sooner than 12 hours so I can carefully get the extra around the leaves off (but that's okay because it still looks cool!)
Night shot-cannot wait to make more!
The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Lki12302567

what is hypertufa?

• Sandy Carpenter

Hypertufa is a mixture of Portland cement and other organic additives, peat-moss ,sand,natural fibers “ I use cotton yarn or any fine natural fibers” vermiculite or perlite.the ratios differ but you can google hypertufa recipes for mixtures that folks have used and proven,but keep in mind you need at least 25% Portland cement go any to work ,Portland cement is the glue that holds it all together

• Lisas Rexstar

Like you, I love how the green leaves look. Is there a reason you could not use a super-glossy green paint?

• After the hypertufa dries, I think green paint would look great. Maybe finish it with a coat or two of sealer to make the paint last longer. I would only paint the top par that shows though.

• Sjt29229935

Is there a specific reason you waited until it was dry to drill the hole instead of inserting the light base in place while the hypertufa is still wet and would conform nicely around the light base making a secure fit? Sure looks warm and wonderful. Inspires me to start mixing cement and plucking my big hosta leaves before the snow flies.