Sheila
Sheila
  • Rock Hill, SC

Rain Barrel

A barrel I turned into a rain barrel to match my house.
rain barrel, gardening, go green, My husband brought me a couple of these barrels home from where he works I washed them out really good and using a rain barrel kit I drilled all the holes using the hole saws that came with the kit
My husband brought me a couple of these barrels home from where he works. I washed them out really well and using a rain barrel kit I drilled all the holes using the hole.
rain barrel, gardening, go green
rain barrel, gardening, go green, I recommend using an electric drill though The battery operated one was not strong enough to drill the holes so I purchased an electric one and it made a big difference
I recommend using an electric drill though. The battery operated one was not strong enough to drill the holes so I purchased an electric one and it made a big difference.
rain barrel, gardening, go green, Got it all connected with the hose and leveled out
Got it all connected with the hose and leveled out.
rain barrel, gardening, go green, It was full after the first rain we had after setting it up
It was full after the first rain we had after setting it up.
rain barrel, gardening, go green, All I have to do is pull the hose out of the downspout when it gets full Now I m ready to start on the next one for the back yard
All I have to do is pull the hose out of the downspout when it gets full. Now I'm ready to start on the next one for the back yard.

• Valerie

A quick question - I assume you spray painted the rain water barrel. How has it held up? Also, it looks as if you decorated it using stickers. If so, how have they survived?

• Sheila

The paint has held up great Those are not stickers, it is a stencil. I do touch it up periodically but only on top where the pots sit

• Valerie

Thanks, Sheila!

• Cheryl

My barrel is not anchored. Also I have a fenced in yard. If a child were to fall in he/she would have to be over 5 ft. tall. as the barrel is almost 4 ft tall and has yet to be completely full. Also they would have no business in my yard. I have no children so the netting is perfectly ok. Also it does not just catch rain water but the water drip from the AC in my window.

• Valerie

This is so great - you have inspired me to do something with my barrels!