Asked on Dec 28, 2018

How can I remove a thatch 3-4 inches deep in a small yard?

AmandaBetsyWilliam
+1

• Ray Porter

You can rent machines that dethatch your lawn at rental centers. Once you do it you will need to rake it to get rid of the excess.

I just use a rake.

Hi Kathy: Yes, the dethatching machines are good, but difficult to use. But, you can do it:) Just wait until the ground is dry. If you try to do it while the grass is wet, you will tear up your grass. Then, there is a lot of raking after you dethatch. But, you will love the look when you're done. Or, you can just rake it and do it by hand. Talk about work!!!! Sometimes, you can contact the local high school or your police department's youth program and see if they have people who can do this for you for a reasonable price. Remember, a no is better than a missed yes:) Good luck.

• Amanda

Hi Kathy. Of you yard is small enough I would just purchase a thatcher. It works similar to a rake, and works well. Otherwise I would just use a good rake. Good Luck!