Everything You Need to Stencil Your Tile Floors For Less

$75

To our Cutting Edge Stencils fans, welcome back! We have the biggest blog post of the year for you to bookmark or save on your computer! We will show you EVERYTHING you need to stencil your tile floors for LESS using tile stencils. This step-by-step tutorial has every detail on floor preparation, stenciling technique, and top coat instructions to create the perfect tile floor. This will make all of your stencil projects so much easier and by the end of this post, you’ll be able to change your job title to “Stencil Professional.” First take a look at the complete “How-To” video tutorial and then follow along through each step with the written instructions.

[PLEASE GO TO OUR BLOG FOR THE ENTIRE TUTORIAL AND TO ENTER OUR GIVEAWAY]

https://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-stencil-your-tile-floors-for-less.html

Before ordering your , you must measure your tile! The correct way to measure your tile is from tile edge to tile edge. You can use a ruler or measuring tape! Make sure you do NOT include the grout lines. For this specific floor project, we want to ignore the grout lines. We decided this style will look best with this linoleum floor because the space between the ties is too thin. The size you measure will be the size you order!

Before you start painting, sand your tiles down using 220 grit sand paper. This gives your floor extra adhesion! Then, rid your floors of any dust or dirt that may be left there. We recommend using TSP, a heavy-duty floor cleaner, when cleaning your floors before you stencil. Tape the perimeter of your bathroom floor and toilet to avoid getting paint in unwanted areas.

After taping the baseboard, it is time to prime your floor! We recommend using STIX primer because we found it provides the best adhesion! We are going to go in with a dense foam roller to cover the whole floor. You will want to apply about 2-3 coats of primer before the base coat. We sand and prime the floor before stenciling because we want to make sure the paint sticks to the tiles!

Once the primer is dry, we are going to paint our floor with the base coat color. [Pro Tip: You can save yourself a step and money by getting your primer tinted to the desired floor color at your local paint store!]

Otherwise, grab your paint color and apply 2-3 coats of your base color. Any interior matte or flat finished paint will work great!

For this specific floor project, we want to ignore the grout lines. We decided this style will look best with this linoleum floor because the space between the tiles is too thin. We are placing the stencil directly on the tile where the edges meet. Because we are not stenciling the grout lines, we covered the repeating registration marks with blue painters tape. 

Another key factor when stenciling the perfect tile floor is all about how you load your dense foam roller. Evenly load the paint onto your roller and offload excess paint onto a paper towel. Then with light pressure, apply paint onto the stencil! If there is too much paint on your dense foam roller and you press down too hard, you will get some bleed! To accomplish a complete stencil you will need two coats of paint!

Our Tile Stencils are super flexible and can bend to fit tricky corners. Just roll your paint as close as you can to the edge, and then go back with your professional stencil brush and pounce where the floor meets the wall. Push down the stencil when pouncing in that area for crisp lines!

So far, so good!! Since we did not stencil the registration marks, we will align the stencil right next to the other so the corners touch. Now repeat this process on each full tile.

For those extra hard to reach places, this is where buying a second stencil comes in handy! Measure your partial tile and cut your stencil accordingly. Then place your stencil down and fill in those tiles. Don’t be afraid to freehand any leftover space the stencil can’t reach. To fix any bleed or smudges, our Liner Brush is perfect for touchups.

Once you have finished stenciling and the floor is completely dry, it is time to seal it with a water-based polyurethane. It’s important to use water-based because it is non-toxic, it has a rapid dry time, and it does NOT yellow over time. We recommend 2-3 coats of this! Please allow 2 hours of dry time between each coat and then you must wait a full 24 hours before you can start using your floors completely!

BEFORE!!

To see more: https://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-stencil-your-tile-floors-for-less.html

• Linda M. Davis

Can I do this on a linoleum floor or should I pull the linoleum up?

• Trish F

According to the above directions she cleaned the linoleum well made sure to remove any residual dust and painted over the floor where it laid.

• Star P.

It CLEARLY states and shows that this is linoleum.

• Sue

You do this right over your super clean old linoleum.

• Stephani Turner

It clearly gives directions for tile and to ignore grout lines. So...thank you for this question I was going to ask the same thing

• Jo Ann Mccullough

I have tile thats cracking some. Can i do this over that?? I really dont want to lay linoleum or uproot my tile.

• Jo Falasca

Replace the tiles that are cracking them paint the floor.

• VA.

What kind of black paint did you use?

• Yolanda

Can you do this project if the floor isn’t linoleum?

• Mo Sommerville-Phillips

Why didn't you take the after pic from the same angle as the before pic?

• Hilton Dunaway

How much did all the supplies cost?

• Dee

Absolutely beautiful!!! The most professional job I have seen using this technique! Patience for sure, lovely! Congratulations And Happy New Year! You should be very proud.

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Hi Hilton! Our website has all the supplies needed for this project.

The 4" Dense foam roller cost about $5.95 and the 3/4" Professional stencil brush costs $4.95. What great about these materials is that you can reuse them for your next stenciling project!

• Patrick

Can this be done on ceramic tile??

• Sheila Ryan

I would think you could, but you’re going to definitely have to sand well to achieve the same adhesion. Tiles are slick. Might be easier to just paint a sealant over the tile & go from there. Just be careful with thickness as doors still need to close etc. Good luck!

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Hi Patrick! Yes it can! As long as you follow the beginning preparation steps its can be done on all tiles!

• John McGee

Why did you use a different photo at the end and different from the original picture of the room

• Janice

Can I do something similar with things from Bunnings??? I don't like the wacky looking stencil... That is just me however...

• 2 girls with 5 dogs

hi! thanks bunches for this "how to" we are planning to do 2 bathrooms and my foyer and kitchen w/ stencils.the only problem is i can't find stencils i love! we need farmhouse type stencils. we have a tiny home and love the look of these floors! any ideas where i can find the stencils i am searching for??????? many blessings!

• Cecilia Ruder

Is there a way to do this with a linoleum floor?

• Sharon jones

Wonderful and inspirational. It likely would look great on a variety of surfaces. One day I plan to paint a heavy canvas floor cloth in a similar way. Do you have a book or more info! Thank you

• Donna

Can you do this to a concrete basement floor?

• Keri Lynn Dixon

Would this work on regular tile flooring?

• Laurie Ladley Robinson

Can you do this on linoleum?

• Monica Obrien

Does it ever peel or scratch off? We use our bathroom with shoes on. When we come in from being out.

• Cutting Edge Stencils

No once you seal it (exact steps in blog) it will last you for years and years against high traffic, pets, etc

• Donna Wheeler

Would this work good on ceilings?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Yes! It would look amazing too! We have so many awesome stencils for ceilings. Check out our website. the link is in our profile

• Sylvia Rosa

Any idea for this floor?

• Carla Hoover Ramsey

What kind of paint works best? Would latex be fine or does it need to be oil based to keep from scratching off or peeling?

• Angi Clutter Boggs

I live in a double wide, on a farm, I have 4 dogs and 7 grandkids that visit regularly so as you can imagine I mop 5-7 times a day will this hold up to that?

• Sarah

Angi I was thinking the same thing and I'm guessing NO. The polyurethane may help, but it looks to me like this was this woman's basement bathroom or second bathroom. For a frequently mopped floor I wouldn't think it would hold up for very long...

• Bobbi Jo Edwards

Poly takes a lot of beating and washing on furniture,it would probably hold up very well, could always do extra coats.

• Susie

This was a linoleum floor, just square tile type

• Cutting Edge Stencils

As long as you seal it with 2-3 coats of water based polyurethane it will last you for years and years against high traffic and pets. You can clean it with a mop and nothing will happen even if it is 7 times!

• Linda

Really nice job. Can you do this over linoleum?

• Nick

How can I be removed from this list?

• Sandra Jean Adkins

X out of this screen, then tap on the blue icon in the upper right corner and then tap, mute. It’ll keep you from receiving notifications. 👍

• Ann Curb

When you open the message there should be a blue dot with a white check mark. Select this and it should open another window giving you the option to turn off notifications.

• Voncele Mondrwgon

That was very beautiful that is my question also can you do that over linoleum floors.

• Cynthia

It looks totally different and you did an awesome job. I cannot do this over tile floors, can I. If memory serves, unlike most.of the time, your floor was linoleum, wasn’t it?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Yes this was over linoleum floors but you can do it over real tile, cement, vinyl, etc!

• Mary Edmands

Yes, you can stencil porcelain or ceramic tiles. There are tutorials on Pinterest. My daughter did a beautiful paint and stencil project on a concrete floor.

• Wanda Becker

Where is the after picture

• MK

hi i those smal white 2x2 ceramic tiles in my bathroom , i hate it , any suggestions for painting this type of floor ? ty

• Christiane Baldwin

Can i use that on wooden floors ?

same paint, sealer etc ?

• Terri

What about leinoum flooring anything similar to cover and stencil? I hate mine but perfect condition

• Jim

I am willing to try this.i like art.im wondering will this technique work on lenolium floors?

• Deborah

What if you have linoleum floors can you still do this

• Cathy

This is fabulous! Would I follow the same procedures for pergo or ceramic flooring?

• Stephanie Mickel-Kuiper

What about tiled walls. We've not redone our bathroom yet like we want to and we have the tiled walls from like the 50s and 60s do you think that something like this would work on that also?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Yes!!! Follow the same exact process!!

• Jenny

Would I use the same sandpaper to sand the tile so the paint adheres? They are glazed ceramic. I want to try this on my walls, but it would be hard to get behind the toilet? I don't know if I have that much sanding in me!😫

• Marie

What about washing and caring ..wear and tear..did I miss something

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Hi Marie if you follow the last steps on sealing your floor, it will last you for years and years. You can wash the floors just like normal!

• Bonnie

Can this be done linloeon?

• MaryAnn Barrett

Can this process be done over a vinyl floor?

• Laura Harris

Can this be done on laminate flooring or does it only work on tile?

• Shelly Helgeson

Is this just for tile or can you paint a other floor too?

• Samar

Great idea, but where can I buy the stencil patterns?

• Kadi

How does stenciling work on odd shaped tile? Our tile is square, however one corner is curved. I am wondering if this will throw off the overall pattern.

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Hi Kadi! You can stencil over any odd shaped tile to make it look like a normal tiled room. Simply paint over it and the tile stencil pattern will cover it!

• Debi

It states you need two coats of paint color. Do you leave stencil on while first coat dries or come back and realign?

• Cutting Edge Stencils

Hi Debi, that's right! Just let the paint dry in the stencil then apply your second coat and peel. Before realigning to the next tile give it just one other minute to dry.

• Hope

Can this technique be use on ceramic tile as well?

• Betty blaine

Can you use this method to simply paint the floor and not stencil at all. And will it last?

• Luisella

Hi.

How do you wash this floor for regular maintenance? Doesn’t the paint wear off with moisture?

• Bev

After it dries completely, seal it with a water-based polyurethane... 2 to 3 coats; I personally have used as many as 6 coats (I get very nervous when excessive moisture is involved).

• Val

Go back and read the paragraph starting with after the stencil has dried. She explained why you should use a water based polyurethane sealer. Made sense to me. Hope this helps.

• Jill Elizabeth Johnson

She SEALS it. Polyurethane keeps the water out.

Happy DIY’ing....

• Babbie Scott Davis

No it will last, ours did.

• Laurie

Beautiful job! I have the other stencils that go with that one. Do you need them?

• Veronica

Do you apply the second coat of stencil paint after the first has dried? Because that would mean doing this whole process twice. Or do you wait for it to get tacky, with stencil in place and then do second coat?

• Jennifer Thompson

Great question, I wondered the same because I’ve always heard you should remove the stencil while the paint is wet but this would go against that if we let it dry in place. Then again I would prefer that to having to repeat the entire process...

This is a stunning floor!!

• Vee

Could these paint materials be used in a tiled bath/SHOWER SURROUND? It didn't appear she ever wore a mask, isn't the paint dangerous to use without excellent ventilation, and a mask?

• Scout

did you s earl the stencil designs?

• Scout

Typo. Did you seal the stencil design?

• Jheri

what would to clean to clean the stenciled floor ?

• Anne

Beautiful! Can you give how much time is needed on this?

• Debra

What kind of primer did you use on the floor? Is it best to remove toilet , so you can seal around the opening so if toilet overflows & runs onto floor water won't seep under All that hard work & ruin it

• Inge

Can you do something like this on Linoleum

• Anne

Can you do this on a “slick” big squares tile floor?

• Steven

Yes you can, however I suggest you sand the surface first! Linoleum and tile with a shiny surface won’t take the paint well.

• Kathy

What brand of floor cleaner are you going to use afterwards that want remove or smear the painted floor.

• Colleen Coscarelli

Does the paint scratch or chip?

• Jackie Luten

Why are the pictures that are taken before and the ones that are taken after are always taken at a different angle. I see that in about all of the before and after picture....

• Doreen

Looks great. Would like to see a pic of a year later to show how it holds up before I do it

• Arlene Gagliano

How can you do this with ceramic tile?

• Connie Arne-Sears

When the design starts to get scratched and chipped...how do you remove it? And is the tile permanently damaged?

• Helen

Is this linoleum you are doing this on?

• Shari Hummel

I it’s a tile floor with grouting in between. Linoleum would probably peel up because it’s thinner than tile and I wouldn’t suggest it because of a paper they use between design of the linoleum and the backing.

• Jeri Olsen

Then WHY does the tutorial say, over & over that the floor in the video is a linoleum floor?🤔

• Melissa Mcconnell

It’s not real tile. It’s Linoleum That come in the sticky squares it doesn’t have real grout lines .

• Lari

hi I have been looking for something to do w our SMALL (what I call 2x4 townhouse style LOL) bathroom tile/floor w/out riping up our current tile cuz my hubby keeps saying its pain where we can't reach! we have the little 1/2"x1/2" - 1"x1" square... rectangle... tile floor (I could fwd pic when get home) not linoleum > do you think this method would work for this floor? but not to stencil, maybe paint it... basically to get rid of grout that's immpossible to keep clean in a 2x4 bathroom w 4-5ppl living in the house! THANK YOU > I know you can't give me a DEF "it'll work" reply I just thought you might have suggestions... THX SO MUCH

• Violet

Can you do something like this if it's linoleum that looks like stone tiles?

• Maribel Santos

Can you mop it without the paint coming out

• Socorro Martinez

She said she sealed it with a water-based polyurethane and then waited 24 hours for full dryness. After that you will be able to walk on it, sweep it, mop it and it should be good with normal use. I wouldn't use any bleach or strong chemical product on the floor though because it may strip the poly faster than normal. I read somewhere else that depending on the usage or in this case, traffic flow, giving it a once-a-year poly application should keep your project fresh looking for a very long time.

• Joyce

You, said tile and then you said linoleum. In my mind tile is ceramic and linoleum is "plastic" I'm wondering what the material is under the paint? I have yucky stick on linoleum tiles and would love to paint them. My fiance eventually is going to pull them up. But, who knows when...lol

• Donna Parke Tennant

What did you use for a sealer on the top afternoon using the stencil?

• Sharon

She says to use "water based polyurethane" , 2-3 coats with a 2 hour drying time between each coat and 24 hours after the last coat before using the room.

• Beth

I used a polyurethane by. I also has a rubber stamp. It was easier cause a stencil can bleed if you are not careful

• Sherry

They clearly said water based polyurethane.

• Jeanne

Love it ! Going to try it in my kitchen but I really want to try it in both my bathrooms but bought the house with small ceramic tiles with grout in between, can I paint them and do bigger square stencils ?

• Ghada

What did you use the spray for?

• Tammy Belknap

What if you have cracks or gaps in the tiles?

• Maria

Can this be done on a terrazo floor?

• Tita

María just a question for curiosity, for me terrazzo floors are beautiful why do you want to stencil it?

• Cynthia

Can you actually paint a ceramic tile in a bathroom an it will hold up?