Asked on Dec 28, 2018

How do I get the smell out of plastic bins?

Mary JohnsonNancy landersNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+2

how do i get the stinking smell out of plastic bins. I have had these for over a year and they still smell so bad that they are not usable.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Dorothy, I would put a box of opened baking soda in each of them, put the lid on and leave them in the garage for awhile.

• Erin Reed | Erin Reed Makes

a vinegar wash might do the trick :)

• Rinse out with vinegar or vodka (be liberal), and set in the sun. Baking soda, charcoal or newspaper may also work.

• Nancy landers

I don’t know if it works or not, but I saw a tv program where they placed a bowl of fresh coffee grounds into an old trunk and closed it up. Maybe you could try that over night. And I’ve heard charcoal briquets will draw out scent.

• Mary Johnson

I used to clean apartments for a living, and to freshen up refrigerators and containers, we crumpled up newspaper into wads and placed inside with a bowl of charcoal briquettes and close it up. After about 24 hours, I would discard the paper and charcoal, and place a dryer sheet inside for another day. Worked every time. Now, when I get home from a camping trip, I place a dryer sheet inside the tubs that have blankets etc. Good luck.