SL
SL
  • Manvel, TX
Asked on Dec 28, 2018

What is the best Vinyl cutter?

Brad VandenbergSLGk
+4

I am looking for a vinyl cutter to make signs with but I want that will do fairly big stuff. Any suggestions of which one would be the best to get?

• Flipturn

How thick and how large are the vinyl pieces that you are wanting to cut?

• SL

Like the ones that are on vintage windows that take up pretty much of the glass. On the thickness I have no idea I do not know much about the vinyl stuff.

• Gk

I own a Cricut. I like it and use it all the time to make stencils for signs. I do, however, think that a Silhouette will offer you more options. I plan to purchase a Silhouette to replace my Cricut. There are so many files you can download for Silhouette vs Cricut and there are no cartridges to buy. Though I do believe that Cricut is doing away with the cartridges if you purchase a Cricut Air. Of course you do need a computer or laptop but most of us have one anyway. I am not sure what you mean by "big stuff"--sometimes I have to cut my stencils out on more than one piece of stencil plastic to create a larger sign. I buy my stencil plastic on Amazon. It comes in 24 inch long sheets.

• SL

Thank You I will check out the links.

• Brad Vandenberg

I had the same question a while back, and I found this article extremely useful:

https://www.thebestvinylcutters.com/best-vinyl-cutting-machine/

Most of them are so small, but I wanted to have a minimum of 45" for large format graphics (for on tarps for trucking industry) - this article covers both for home use AND commercial so was helpful.

I ended up with one from US Cutter (It's the last one on the list in the second chart - showing commerical cutters)

I got about 3 years out of it, and was able to do graphic jobs over 20' in length and it tracked accurately.

It was replaced with a Graphtec FC8600 - the 64" model which I'm really happy with.