Asked on Dec 29, 2018

How do use old sweaters?

Mom2K9JewellmartinBrenda Cave-James
+2

• Mona Blake

I make pillows out of them!

Hi Laurena: If they are still good, but you just don't like them any longer, consider donation to a woman's shelter. Good luck

• Brenda Cave-James

i cut as much a good square from the front or back as available, or both. Sew various squares together for a big warm scarf. Sew one long edge seam (sew one end shut and continue down long edge with good sides together). Then turn inside out to finish other end.

Or...back with a piece of flannel the same size (actually if you cut the flannel backing a little thinner than sweater pieces, and sew two side seams, it comes out more manageable. I have made many of these for the horribly cold upstate New York winters- especially when I couldn't let an almost perfectly good sweater go to waste! I have also cut off arms for "leggin's" for bed ridden patients who need padding, protection or warmth on their frail legs- this helps to avoid pressure sores, where bone meets bone. T

urn cut end in and zig zag stitch on machine or hand stitch to keep from fraying.

• Jewellmartin

Laurena, old sweaters make great decorative pillow covers, with the arms and hem pinned to the back. You can tie the sleeves together and the hem is tied together with a rubber band or ponytail holder, leaving the neck open. This bag can be for pajama storage during the day; a bag for hosiery and other delicates for washing; a bag for a diary, a journal, a book, and ink pens and highlighters in a ziplock bag. If you can cut out and bind the edges of the arms, back, front or other parts with a secure edging, you can have knitted pieces for so many more projects. Best wishes—😊

• Mom2K9

This is a really good link. My mom gave me some mittens that were made from old sweaters and they are really warm as they were from wool sweaters

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=reuse%20old%20sweaters&rs=typed&term_meta[]=reuse%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=old%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=sweaters%7Ctyped