Asked on Dec 29, 2018

How do I decorate over a cathedral ceiling?

Robyn GarnerEmStephenie Baxter
+11

How do I decorate over the cathedral ceiling? The two hangers are from before. We are trying to have a Mew Orleans look.Thought of iron gates, picture....

q how do i decorate over cathedral ceiling
  • Jane Harkleroad

I would make one or more art quilts in a size or sizes to fit the space and hang those! Also, a nice handwoven piece would look wonderful if the right colors are chosen.

• Em

Not quite sure how that is a New Orleans look.

• Kmdreamer

How about some old shutters with some green vines maybe white lattice

• C

Have you thought about a beautiful white shelf using decorative corbels to hold it up and then using some artificial greenery and a few Knick backs or plates?

• Carolyn from NH

I used a black wrought iron garden trellis with the legs cut off. There are also a lot iron medallion pieces in the wrought iron.

Carolyn from N.H

• Judy

Frame all of the ceiling with molding; thick molding. It gives a traditional look. Very elegant.

• Deb K

Hello, here is a link with many ideas for you to check out

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/148407750192349669/?lp=true

• Cry22488062

I think a set of set shutters framing a wrought iron window box with beautiful greenery would be pretty.

• Allison Offord

Hi Mary Ann,

Seeing your ceilings made me suggest placing chandeliers lights in your ceiling.

• Stephenie Baxter

Mirrors. It looks like you need mor reflected light. You can surround them with iron for the look you want

• Em

New Orleans style conjures up thoughts of crumbling plaster walls, wrought iron, colors and intricate details on fixtures and hardware. I like the thought of iron on wall. Shop the antique stores around you for some bright Mardi Gras masks to hang from wrought iron piece. Add a entrance cabinet with ornate gold hardware and tie in the entry theme above that piece. Think bright colors since your entry is white and light grey. Add a tall floor vase with ostrich, or peacock plumes and find some art work that matches for a burst of color above the entrance cabinet. Even Target carries reasonably priced glass front cabinets, very inexpensive in bright turquoise and brick red that would start you color them off for the entry cabinet.

• Robyn Garner

I saw a wonderful makeover here where someone had a front entry rug that was cut-out scrollwork. She painted it black and hung it on the wall - looked exactly like ironwork!