Asked on Dec 29, 2018

How do I paint paneling in a kitchen?

Alberta CoulterKathy Gunter LawEllis
+2

I have a farm house and I don’t want to spend the money on taking it down and feeling in all the holes from the nails.

• Helen Huhn

I had very dark wood paneling in my kitchen i put kilz on it and then put two coats of white paint. It looks great

• Kmdreamer

Yes you could if there are lines and you don’t want them you could plaster them so you don’t see them fill them in

• Ellis

A relative painted a kitchen that was entirely paneled in knotty pine. He chose to leave all the grooves and knotholes as they were, and used a good white paint, after scrubbing the knotty pine to be sure there was no grease or dirt to interfere with the paint.

It was such an improvement over the very dark, somewhat orange-y color of the knotty pine. I was encouraged by this to paint a family room that had been done in cheap paneling. It, too, turned out great, and leaving the grooves, but making sure they were well painted over, added some character to the walls. I say go for it!

• Kathy Gunter Law

Clean, de gloss, patch, sand or steel wool rough finish, clean with TSP or denatured alcohol, prime, and paint v

• Alberta Coulter

We covered our den paneling with wall paper. Though we did it halfway up and put in a chair rail. We left the paneling on the bottom and got a product from Sherwyn Williams that covers paneling. You put it on just like wall paper and it covers the grooves. Then we wallpapered over that. I don't know if it is paintable and this was years ago.