Asked on Dec 29, 2018

How do I repair my door lock?

Nan W.PattiCribbsStyle


It looks like over time, my house has settled on the lock part and it doesn't fit in or keep the door locked. How do I change the place where the lock goes into the molding part?

4 answers
  • Laura Cooper
    on Dec 29, 2018

    Patti, usually it's easier to adjust the strike plate on the jamb instead of the lock. There are two screws on the stike plate and they can be loosened and moved up or down for a micro adjustment, or remove it and drill the hole bigger for a larger adjustment. Also, check the hinges first, you may just have loose hinges.

  • CribbsStyle
    on Dec 30, 2018

    I agree with Laura, adjust the strike plate and knock out any wood that shows in the hole where the bolt goes.

  • Patti
    on Dec 30, 2018

    thank you

  • Nan W.
    on Jan 1, 2019


    I called a locksmith on this one. It was done quickly --- therefore, inexpensive (and done right)

Your comment...