Valarie Karas
Valarie Karas
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Asked on Dec 30, 2018

How do I take out a ceramic tile shower?

Valarie KarasKen EricksonEbbjdl
+1

I bought a house with a basement bathroom. The bathroom is completely ceramic tile. The stand up shower, the floor, the walls and the counter top (luckily not the cabinet!) is ceramic tiles. There is a leak from the shower head and no way to shut off the water to it. How can I take out the shower without gutting the whole bathroom? Sincerely wanting to get it out ~ Valarie

• Colette Tuteur

What are you planning to replace the tile with? You can take out the tile in the shower, but you will have to turn off the water, and then shut off the water to that shower head(be prepared to call a plumber if the pipes have issues to replace all of that). When you replace the shower you need to make sure you have some sort of water proofing, or use an all in one shower enclosure. The rest of the bathroom will need all new wallboard, and flooring. (basically a scorched earth, remove and replace of the bathroom).

• Ebbjdl

Valarie,. There has to be a shut off the valve, to stop the water. If you can't ,this was constructed without a shut off. You'll need some type of Hammer to remove the tile. Use a tile grouter, which you cut the grout to release the tile. Aoha!

• Ken Erickson

You can shut off the water at the outside water supply to the house as the last resort. Hammer & chisels can help remove tiles. You may be able to pull big hunks of wall board off.

• Valarie Karas

Thank you all! The tile grouter, hammer and chisel will be on my first “must haves” list!