Clean the Tub Without Breaking Your Back

$1

Finding the best soap scum cleanser is only half of the job in cleaning your tub out. Bending over and scrubbing it kills my knees and back. There is an easier way to do this!

Dollar Tree Broom

Gather Your Materials

• Cheap broom
  • Blue Dawn dish soap
  • White vinegar
  • Empty water bottle

Use a cheap broom for the "scrubbing"! Dollar Tree is a good option if you have one, but Amazon has options as well.

Make the Solution

Make the Solution

A 50/50 solution mix of blue Dawn dish soap and white vinegar is the best cleanser ever!

50/50 means for example 1 cup Dawn and 1 cup vinegar. Or just eyeball it and put equal amounts in.

Use the Empty Water Bottle

I usually use an empty water bottle and pour the Dawn in with the white vinegar.

Solution

Shake it up before using but there's enough for several uses even in this small bottle.

Pour into the Tub

Pour into the Tub

Pour some into the tub. Don't be stingy, you need to use a good amount of the solution you made. Bonus: the solution is relatively cheap so you can always make more if you need to.

Swish the Solution Around

Swish the Solution Around

Use your clean broom to swish the solution all around the bottom, sides and all. Using the broom is a much easier way to scrub than kneeling. I keep this broom specifically for cleaning the tub out.

Scrub

Scrub

It does a very good job cleaning the scum in there and even better if you do weekly. If it's been a while then scrub the solution all around and let it sit for a while before rinsing.

Rinse

Rinse

Then simply use the shower head to rinse everything, including the broom. I really recommend a removable shower head- it makes life much easier and they are not too expensive on Amazon!

As a side note, when I mop the kitchen a broom like this helps those areas that need some scrubbing.

Know of any other quick DIY cleaning hacks? Let me know in the comments down below.

3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized

• Mary Jane Russell

Having recently had total knee replacement surgery, I think this would be a lifesaver for me. Could I also use it on the sidewalls of the shower?

• Elaine Brown

I have a fiberglass tub. Will the solution harm the finish of the tub?

• Stolzy

2 months post OP subdural hematoma, a brain bleed.

My occupational therapist had this same mix for me. He came with a broom and one of those wall th ill bags to hang brooms, sniffers, mops, etc

But you're right, this is a great way to deal with the tub and shower. My balance still isn't great. The main bathroom I use is small. I've found its easier to squirt some on the floor, scrub around everything, use a dry mop to get up the suds, then go over with wet mop. I don't have to bend a lot, the broom does the work. The mop is just for the rinse.

• Charlene

Will this help with some issues with mold.

• DeEva

This is really good thing to have in the house. I have problems with my knees and back because of a trauma. Frankly speaking, I suffered for many years while making the order in our house. In the end, we came to the conclusion that the best solution for us is to call a cleaning company for general cleaning several times a year. There are some things that I can do myself, but something more serious is really dangerous for my health. We found these guys https://room413.com/ and I'm very happy that a big part of home duties are no longer my headache. Indeed, their prices are very affordable for such hard work and good results.

• Cynthia L

Not really a question but I do my outside Windows the same way..takes me about half an hour so easy. ( of course I only have six outdoor Windows.) They dry spot free post rinsing. And the walls of my shower with a sponge mop. The same ingredients.it real does make the job nicer.