Phoenix Pearson
Phoenix Pearson
  • Highland Park, IL
Asked on Dec 30, 2018

How can I create a playroom in an unfinished concrete basement?

HomeroadEmy Flint | Semigloss DesignKelli L. Milligan
+1

I have a unfinished basement which is an open canvas. The problem is that my vision to transform the space with a limited budget means that I can’t make any major purchases (drywall, carpet, etc). With creative ideas in mind, but not any real handyman skills, I’m wondering now to create a playroom for my small children??? I would like to create nooks for art, reading, etc within the space that is completely open (no walls). How do I use the wood ceiling to hang fabric or other items so that it can help to divide the room. Is there a way to hang a huge chalkboard or peg board that is secure (without swinging)? Any idea for divided spaces in this challenging process is appreciated!

• To make "rooms" use drop cloths hung from the rafters. Quick, cheap and easy. For the chalkboard, build a stand for it. It's not that hard.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Don't get too crazy about getting fancy. Leave it simple, add some basic lighting, throw a rug down for a reading area, keep other floors here for roller skating, drawing with chalk, etc. Great playground.

• Add inexpensive rugs to make the floor soft. Paint the cinder block walls. If the wood ceiling bothers you, you can staple up fabric or drop cloths. Subdivide the space with bookcases or other large, sturdy furniture.

• Homeroad

We did this! I sectioned off a section of the basement and hung inexpensive curtains from tension rods that hung from the beams in the ceiling. This gave the playroom a "room". Next we painted the walls white and the floors a bright teal color with paint designed specifically for cement. I put up art work canvases on the walls and a bright colored rug on the floor. The kids were happy to have a space of their own!