Mona
Mona
Asked on Dec 31, 2018

How can I fix my streaky milk painted cabinets?

EbbjdlKmdreamerMona
+1

My bar cabinets are now streaky! I painted them with a very dark milk paint and a topcoat. They looked streaky with just the paint and now with the topcoat. ugh What can I do to fix this mess? I worked really hard on them and I'm so disappointed with the results.

Do I have to sand everything off and start over??? I hate to have to do that because it took me so long to finish and sanding the cabinet boxes in the house is soooo messy!

can anyone help me? Thanks!

• Kelli L. Milligan

What finish coat did you use? Water based? If so, just sand down the sheen and repaint. Try spraying on the finish.

• Mona

Thanks, Kelli.

The topcoat is water-based. I bought some 220 sanding sponges. I'll try sanding with those. Looking on the company's website, I see they suggest adding extender. I think I'll try adding extender to the paint and also the topcoat.

Thanks for your advice.

• Kmdreamer

Have you tried re painting them the other way so streaks go different way

• Ebbjdl

Mona,. Your cabinets should have been removed, and painted on a flat surface, that's why you have streaking. I suggest you start again. Sand the cabinets, roll them with a roller, and any cut ins do first. Spray the hardware for a nice finished look any color that will contrast to the color of the cabinets. You can rent a sander from Home Depot for a small fee and deposit. Paint 2 coats, let each dry completely before you rehang them. Aloha!