Asked on Dec 31, 2018

How do I remove old fence posts?

GlenAnnaWilliam
+2

Our old wood fence is no longer viable. I see the post were set in cement. Is there an easy way to remove them besides digging all the cement out? We are seniors.

Thanks,

Barb

Hi Barb: You may be able to contact your local Boy Scout troop and see if there are any boys who can do this and, maybe earn a badge. Or, contact your cities senior services and see if they have, or know of someone who will do this for you. And, finally if your local police department has a work program, maybe they can get the people on the work program to do the work. I'm thinking that digging is the only option. Then, how do you get rid of the concrete? Any possibility of just covering it over with dirt? Good luck.

• Sandi

I had the same problem. My picket fence around my yard was falling apart. I decided to take it down instead of repairing it. I’m a 67 year old woman and took it down by myself. The posts were in cement and there was no way I would even try to dig them up. I’m not crazy!! I just had a friend cut the wooden posts as close to the ground as possible with his chain saw so I could mow. All done. No problem!!

Cut them just below the ground level.

• Anna

cut them just below ground level and fill the holes with dirt So no one trips in the hole

• Glen

Very often, the cement isn't wide spread or very deep. It is used as a stabilizer. Folks have flooded the area around a post to loosen the soil, then pushed and pulled the post to loosen the cement, which may then be pushed over. Some folks use their vehicle with a chain to pull the loosened post out with the cement. Or, as others have commented, just cut the post at ground level and fill in.