DIY Entry Way Coat Rack

$35

Simple DIY entry way coat rack with mail organizer and floating shelf.

Start by cutting your 1x10" at a length of 32", your 1x4" at a length of 19.5", two 1x2" pieces at 9", and three 1x2" pieces at 10.5". Sand your wood once it's all cut to length.

Next, glue and nail your 1x2" pieces together. Use one of your 10.5" pieces as the bottom and your two 9" pieces as the vertical sides. Your two remaining 10.5" pieces will be placed horizontally across your two 9" vertical pieces. I spaced these 10.5" pieces 1" from the bottom and 1" from each other to create two even gaps. This will be your "mail catcher".

Now for your floating shelf....

Measure 1" from the top of your 1x10" and mark your measurement. Add wood glue to one of the long edges of your 1x4" and place it at your 1" measurement, leaving a one inch gap between the top of your 1x10" and your 1x4". Nail your 1x4" to your 1x10" from the back side.

Stain or paint your wood and let dry over night. Once dry, add polyurethane for a shinier finish.

Once dry, align your mail catcher flush with the bottom of your 1x10" and 1" from the side of your 1x10". Apply wood glue to the back of your mail catcher and nail it to your 1x10" from the back side.

Next, take your coat hooks and align them as you please. I ended up clamping a piece of 1x2" scrap wood flush with the bottom of my 1x10" to create an even 1" gap from the bottom of my 1x10" and each coat hook. Place the coat hooks at an equal distance apart and screw them down. I placed mine 2 3/4" apart.

On the back of your coat rack, take two key hole hangers, make sure they are level, and screw them in. For my coat rack, I placed them 3" down from the top of the 1x10", and 7" from each side of the 1x10".

Use a drill bit that will fit inside your keyhole hanger to carve out the wood so you can hang your coat rack. Make sure not to drill all the way through to the other side! A 1/4" should be fine.

Your coat rack should now be ready to hang!

18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home

• Terrie

I have a manufactured home. It is very nice but as everyone knows the Cabinetry is cheaply made. I want to protect mine. I tried putting polyurethane on the inside of the door, but did not work. Any suggestions?

• Noreen Schaan

Where did you get the "hello " sign? And it's also a easy way of making a very useful piece for the home. Great job. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea Kyle! Keep on DIY'ing!🙂👍💖

• Lily

Great idea I’ll have my hubby make one for the garage.

• Helen Pear

I love this rack and will be making one for each of my kids.