Linda
Linda
  • Bridgewater, MA
Asked on Dec 31, 2018

How do I remove and restrain my wooden outside deck?

LindaV SmithWilliam

Remove and restrain my wooden outside deck? I purchased a two step system, not realizing that prior to purchasing. The surface has lifted in certain areas and I would like to remove the finish and start again. Please help. Thanks Linda L

What did you use? I pray you didn't use a deck over product.

There is a problem with the deckover products. They are known to crack and peel within two years. Hard to remove. Many Hometalkers have used them and regret it and have mention their misfortunes in discussions. Many people had o replace deck boards and even complete decks. There are class action lawsuits against the manufacturers. Also notice they are not advertised anymore. You can do some online research and find more cons than pros. I have been advising Hometalkers not to use the products and to spread the word. Some have tried scraping and sanding with fair results.

• Linda

Hi William thanks for your timely information. Unfortunately that’s what I have used I guess the fix is a new deck. Thanks and Happy New Year

• V Smith

It really depends on how much time and energy you can put into removing the old unstable finish. Would it be possible for you to turn the boards over, clean them up, and go from there?

• Linda

That is a great fix. Thank you Happy New Year