Shevy.gale
Shevy.gale
  • Hometalk Team
  • Israel

Upgraded Ikea Billy Bookcase

$800

We needed some living room storage and style. Inspired by some posts I saw on Hometalk, I had an idea of what I wanted to do using IKEA bookcases.

upgraded ikea billy bookcase

We started out with 5 simple IKEA Billy bookcases

upgraded ikea billy bookcase

We wanted to create some storage space that wouldn't be on display, so we also bought IKEA cabinet doors from kitchen department and attached them on the bottom of some of the bookcases.

upgraded ikea billy bookcase

All assembled, it looks so nice and clean.

upgraded ikea billy bookcase

I bought pieces of wooden trimming to cover all of the seams between the bookcases.

upgraded ikea billy bookcase

Then my husband cut it to the right size

upgraded ikea billy bookcase

I painted them with 2 layers of white paint so that they were really covered.

upgraded ikea billy bookcase

I bought slats of wood that were cut the same width as the trimming, my husband then screwed the slats together in between the bookcases, and we glued the trimming onto the slats.

upgraded ikea billy bookcase

And here it is all put together, but, we are not quite finished yet...

upgraded ikea billy bookcase

I wanted to add lighting so it would be a nice display closet, so my husband drilled a round whole in the top of the closet cabinets.

upgraded ikea billy bookcase

Here's where we installed a spot light.

upgraded ikea billy bookcase

We then finished it up with trimming on the top and bottom and some led lighting on top.

• Terry Dicey

I’m curious why you left the gap between the shelf units, requiring the coverup. Why not just butt them together?

• Cindy Quinn

It gives a higher end look than just having bookcases butted up together. It also helps to stabilize an individual unit by all being anchored together.

I plan to do this very thing when we get moved in a few months. We are thinking of making one in our current home to give a little extra appeal.

• Deb

Awesome plan...what color paint dud you use to match the Ikea white?

• Retta

Nice, thank you for sharing,