Asked on Dec 31, 2018

How do I replace the missing gutter over the garage door?

Valerie HarpeKelly-n-TonyTerry R
+1

The gutter gave up and fell off the garage door, and now I need to fix this mess somehow.

• Terry R

The repair depends on what caused it to fall off. Gutters are generally connected to the face board covering rafter ends by way of a long “nail” or other similar type fastener spaced every few feet. It’s possible these fasteners just worked their way out and need to be reinstalled. If they are old style wood gutters the have probably rotted out and need replacing. Then there’s the possibility the wood the gutter was fastened to has rotted out in which case it will need to be replaced. If you could post a picture, possibly I can recommend the best approach.

• Valerie Harpe

Thank you Terry, I fear it is the wood rotted out, according to my SO. Ack. Too dark to get up on a ladder, will try tomorrow. Truly appreciate the time you took to help.

• Kelly-n-Tony

If the wood is rotted that the gutter was attached to that's a problem and will probably be an expensive fix. If the gutter merely fell off you can reattach it or purchase another piece at the Home Depot near you with the nails.

• Valerie Harpe

Thanks, Kelly-n-Tony, I fear it is a rotted wood issue, per my boyfriend. Hoping we can piece in some wood after removing the rotted stuff.