How do I cheaply skirt my mobile home?

+2

I have a 16×80 mobile home that I need to skirt because of weather and dog. My husband is under hospice care so it is all on me to do, don't have alot of cash , wondering if you have some ideas

• C C on Jan 01, 2019

How about using the wood from free pallets? Shouldn’t be too hard with a good hammer &/or pry bar to take them apart. Then cut the slats to the length you need, nail them to a base and a top rail and put them in place. You can always paint them for astetics.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Jan 01, 2019

The cheapest is to get straw bales and place them all the way under around the edge of the mobile. Works great. That's what people did where I used to live. If you can, get someone to lay heavy plastic completely covering the ground under the mobile from edge to edge before you place the straw bales. That will also keep the mobile warmer.

• Jwawersich Jwawersich on Jan 01, 2019

The cheapest way that I know of is with the aluminum skirting panels. If I remember right they come in 3'x16' panels. They can be cut easily with a utility knife.

You'll need 12, 13 to be on the safe side,panels, 4 vents and 4 corners. For the uprights, use 2"x2" . You'll also need panel screws and 3" decking screws. For tools you'll need a drill/driver and screw bits, miter saw, tape measure, square, hammer and utility knife. If you don't have access to a miter saw, you can get by with a hand saw.

To start, remove any existing skirting. You can reuse any uprights that are still solid. Start at one corner and measure from the wood frame behind the siding to the ground for each upright. Uprights will be 3'-4' on center. To mount the uprights, cut 2x2 into 6"-8" lengths with a point on one end. Use the upright to determine the location for this. Pound the short piece into the ground, either behind or alongside the upright, leaving 2"-3" above ground. Screw the bottom of the upright to this and for the top, toe nail with a screw into the wood frame. Repeat this for each upright. For the location of the end of one and start of the next panel, lay a panel down and position the upright on the inside edge of the panel. Trim the panel for height, top will slide up and behind siding and bottom will be tight against the ground. Score the panel with the knife and bend to snap it off, the edge will be sharp, so be careful. Screw the panel to the uprights with panel screws. Over lap the next panel the width of the upright and repeat the steps around the house. To get the panel behind the siding. bow it a little and work the top edge in. It's also a good idea to mark the location of the uprights with a piece of tape on the siding, you won't be able to see them with the panel in place. You will also need to cut a panel for access to underneath the house. This can be secured with clips or screws. The best spot for this is where the water and gas go into the house.

I did my 28x74 about 8 years ago, took 1 weekend by my self and cost about $300.00.

Hope this helps.