Asked on Jan 1, 2019

How can I restore an old wicker rocking chair?

Lifestyles HomesMichelle LeslieCheesecake Lady
+7

I inherited this child sized rocker and would like to repaint and reupholster it. Can I use a paint stripper on the wicker? Some of the wicker pieces look like a raffia type material with a wire center. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The circa 1950 Child's rocker belonged to my grandmother. It came free with an adult size chair that she had purchased.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi, remove the existing fabric, retain the tacks if you can, pick a fabric you like and cut it the same size as the fabric you took off the chair, reinstall it the same way you removed the old one.

https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/make-and-decorate/decorating/how-to-clean-and-paint-a-wicker-chair

• Dee
    Dee

Take the fabric off, and first clean with a good degreaser, rinse well, then spray paint with Rustoleum spray paint in the color of your choice. Pick a coordinating fabric to go with the newly painted chair. Have fun.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

I would also clean it carefully. Use a soft brush to remove any loose or peeling paint. I prefer spray paint for material like this. The seat cushion may only be tacked down. Take pictures of each layer you remove, so that you can put it back on the same way, if it's more complicated. I suggest a sturdy fabric for the cushion cover.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hi there,

I would clean it down, re-paint using a spray and make a new cushion with a pad of s/e foam and cover in a great print........

• Kelly Denoyer Russell
    Kelly Denoyer Russell

I agree with all. Remove fabric, thorough cleaning, spray paint with Rustoleum outdoor paint, find a small cushion for seating. I’m never a fan of a fixed cushion that cannot be tossed in the washer. It may be a tiny bit more of a challenge since it’s kid sized.

• Linda
    Linda

Wicker should not be able to dry out or it becomes brittle. Once a year, usually in the spring, spray your wicker down with a hose and let it dry before painting or adding new wicker by either weaving or wrapping whichever is needed. Wrapping can be done with light coating of wood glue. Let it dry overnight then spray paint it your favorite color.

Watch out for cats and wicker. They love to scratch on wicker legs.

• Kasilofcate
    Kasilofcate

I have an old wicker chair. I brushed off the old paint that was loose and spray painted it. I plan on doing the same this summer again.

• Cheesecake Lady
    Cheesecake Lady

I have a beautiful old wicker chair and rocker (never painted) old and dry. Is there a I plan to hose them down several times (it's May) but I wonder if there's any oil I could dilute with water that would penetrate the wicker? Just a stab in the dark. the weaving on these chairs is extremely nice and I'd before I focus on re-wrapping some joints...I want to revitalize the wood if possible.

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi Kathy, this video will show you how to go about repairing your wicker furniture  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ3jgiE7idM

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes
    Just now

Did you get your answer on the raffia-wrapped portions?