Asked on Jan 2, 2019

How do I level one side of a room?

Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CANancy TurnerKelli L. Milligan


Level a room that 1 side has fallen because of old rock foundation house built in 1927 it is actually a rock foundation

3 answers
  • Kelli L. Milligan
    on Jan 2, 2019

    I would contact a foundation specialist

    Sounds like it needs a pro to attract this one.

  • Nancy Turner
    on Jan 2, 2019

    I lived in a turn of the century house for fourteen years. We put those long metal jacks under the beams right under the floor and you can probably jack them up some with that. We also installed them under the floor when we were putting in some large aquariums to make sure the floor would hold up under the additional weight along the walls. They already had a couple of them down in the basement when we moved into the house, it was a rental. You could see the stone foundation in the basement and outside where the siding didn't cover the lower part. I don't think there was a totally level spot in the house. We used shims under a lot of furniture.

  • Awesome! Love old houses, but they are not without flaws. This is not a homeowner DIY. Building codes need to be followed, permits pulled and inspections performed. You need a structural engineer, a contractor or possibly a soils expert for a compaction analysis. Here is how to hire a contractor.

    Sounds daunting, but it really isn't. Just take it once step at a time and it will go smoother than you might anticipate.

Your comment...