Lin
Lin
  • United Kingdom
Asked on Jan 2, 2019

How do I replace rotting trellis?

OlivaLynn SorrellKelly-n-Tony
+11

I have trellis separating my garden, it has climbers growing through it. The trellis has started to rot and one post has snapped. What would you replace it with? I like the trellis because I can see through enough if anyone is coming up my path and what my dog is up to in the garden. It is going to be difficult to change because of the climbers which have been growing through it around 15 years, ( Honeysuckle/ clematis and Jasmine). Want to keep the plants but need something that will last and take the weight.

• Karen Brunck

Hi Lin. I've used a pressure treated stockade fence panel attached to 4x4 pressure treated posts on each end, which are buried about 2 feet deep. I added a concrete mix to the post holes after making sure they are straight. Attached the fence panel with 3.5 inch exterior screws, then pulled off every other slat. You could paint, stain, or leave as is. Mine holds wisteria, which is super heavy and aggressive. You can easily cut the honeysuckle and Jasmine free from the existing trellis by running garden shears between the two like a letter opener. Not sure if clematis would be able to be cut this way though. Good luck.

• Lin

Thank you Karen. Too cold to make a start yet but will look into all options. Thank you.

• Joy30150932

The response from Karen is good and you can trim clematis the same way. All of the plants you mention are good growers so they will catch up very quickly. You will not harm them by trimming them back as they will only thicken up and get more bushy.

• Lin

Thanks Joy. I did wonder if they would die off if I was to cut hard back , thanks for replying.

• Deb K

Hi Lin, you can get pvc lattice which lasts for years, if you run it closely to the old one the plants can attach to it and then just let the old one fall apart, pull pieces off as needed, it will take a while but eventually they will all adhere to the new lattice.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5864958950515388574?lsf=seller:6169538,store:1626678267648043662&prds=oid:16464781434437727325&q=pvc+lattice&hl=en&ei=2-8sXOeTEZOt0PEPksCX6AM&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQiA37HhBRC8ARIsAPWoO0xVTrEF9tBa5jQU_KPU5xOXjZfuZYggI2u7Vr2kyTs_7uaxR5oTrAIaAoQREALw_wcB

• Kelly-n-Tony

Can you slide in new posts and slats into the spaces needed or are you saying the entire trellis is bad?

• Lynn Sorrell

Wrought iron trellis,old metal head board,box springs from old bed I don't know where you live but where I'm at PVC deteriorates really fast in the sun. try to slice the vines thru center open center like 2 pieces of bread slide(don't do hard cut back) new trellis in and then use zip ties to attach the sides back onto trellis,until it has reattached itself If you are in really wet area put the wrought iron up on or in cement at bottom so it doesn't rust out. just dig long slender holes and put some cement in hole with trellis legs let set up

• Lin

Thank you Lynn. I think wrought iron may work out too expensive and may also rust and rot without lots of maintenance. I am in UK so not so much heat here. My garden is prone to dampness too with lots of moss growing which doesn't help the situation.

• Oliva

If you install 2 pieces of treated lumber as upright posts behind and on eith side of lattice, it should withold substantially more weight.