Asked on Jan 2, 2019

How do I prevent garden soil from drying and caking?

OlivaSiddieKelly-n-Tony
+3

I water my garden regularly but the soil is always dry and hard. When it's wet it looks and feels like clay. Is there any thing that can be added to soften the quality ?

• BOB.D.

Sounds like clay to me .I have heard that mixing sand and mulch will help .

• Maryann

Soil condtioners

• Ann Cherkas Halstead

Till it and add garden soil. Till it again. Add cow manure and till again. Repeat this process. A successful garden takes work but it is worth it in the end

• Kelly-n-Tony

It needs something mixed into it. I believe you can take a sample to most landscaping stores and they will tell you what you need.

• Siddie

Thank you all for your recommendations, I will try them all to see which one works best.

Wishing you all the best in this new year, happy home talking .

• Oliva

For heavy clay in SW PA, Greensand can be purchased from Farm stores. Mix it into the top 2-3 inches of soil. Also, think about adding composted, weed free cow or horse manure, well composted kitchen scraps ( no meats, fats) and dried leaves and twigs. Adding sugar free Coca Cola will hasten the decomposition, and adding Perlite will further improve drainage, although you may need to dig soil amendments to a depth of 12-18 inches.

Using a mulch of pine needles, hardbark mulch, or hesvy guage black plastic ( with holes for heat release ) in your garden, and a below surface "drip soaker hose" will reduce evaporation.