Colleen
Colleen
  • Marlton, NJ
Asked on Jan 2, 2019

How can I inexpensively refurbish an old dear chest?

GkColleenBarbara
+5

I have a cedar chest that has been in our family for 4 generations plus and it looks it! I was told by a local company that they will charge $1000+ to do the job. Is there a less expensive way that I could do this? All suggestions are appreciated!

• BOB.D.

you remove finish and redo the outer wood with modern poly coat . good luck will be a lot of work .

• Annie Doherty

You can clean the chest youself, using very fine wire wool to remove the existing finish. Then either use an oil finish giving it a few thin coats or a harder matt polyurathene coat. You want it to last for another 4 generations Happy New Year.

• Gk

Hello Colleen! What are you looking to do with your chest? Repair, remove finish, new stain and poly? You probaby can do it yourself for much less but it takes the right tools, time, and a place to work since refinishing furniture can get a bit stinky! Sounds like the chest is quite old. Sometimes redoing an older piece will diminish it's value. Can you post a picture so we can see your chest?

• Colleen

Hi! I posted some pictures on site. As far as exactly what I’m looking to do...ideally, I would like to restore it, realistically, it would probably be to just make it look nice. Right now, it looks like it’s been through 4 generations.

• Barbara

$1000!!! I'm going into the business  . Take your time and put your love into this piece by doing it yourself. Be patient and don't hurry any of the processes. Good luck.

• Colleen

Here are some pics of the chest. I appreciate all of these suggestions! Thank you!

• Gk

What a pretty old chest Colleen! You are right! It does need some sprucing up. If you are just going to keep this chest for sentimental reason and not worry about what the value might be I would clean the front very well-that part doesn't look to be in that bad of shape. You could use some extra fine steel wool on the top--rubbing in the direction of the grain to see if you can get it to a nice smooth wood finish with no stains. Then stain it to match the bottom and add a finish like a matte poly.