Asked on Jan 2, 2019

How do you update a porcelain?

Deb KGrandmasHouseDIYAdrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

I rent but want to update my kitchen counter-low budget price. What can I do without spending a lot?

• Which part do you want to update? The backspash can be updated with peel and stick tile stickers or even peel and stick wall paper. I like some of the ones from wallsneedlove.com

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Judy, for a laminate kitchen counter top you can purchase kits to paint it. If its a porcelain counter you can purchase bath and tile painting kits that may work on it.

• Deb K

Hi Judy, ask you local paint store which paint will work the best to do this. They make kits to create a stone look as well. I painted mine and the paint lasted 12 years until I could afford new countertops

Lightly sand to rough the countertop up

Go to your paint store, tell them what you are painting, they will pick the proper paint and primer for you, you can even get the primer tinted for a better coverage

Once you have sanded, clean with TSP, them rinse and dry thoroughly,

Apply your primer coat, let it dry according to the instructions

Once the primer coat is dry, apply your paint coat, I would apply 2 or 3 as it will be stronger and thicker

Once your coats dry, you can apply a matter clear coat, either by spry or roll on, keep a small container of it under your sink for touch ups, I had my counters like this for 12 years, until I could afford new ones.

I used a few uncolored glass cutting boards for protection. It held up very well. And only costs you the prices of the materials.

Good luck!

• Deb K

Trisodium phosphate, it is a great cleaner, you can get it in grocery and hardware stores, usually in the cleaning section