Susan Goode
Susan Goode
  • United Kingdom

Amazing Mirror Makeover - Transformed With Colorful Mosaic!

$9

We look and preen every day in our mirrors and I got to thinking that these handy household items should be as beautiful as they can be! So when I found this big, plain, wood surround mirror looking sad and unloved in my local charity shop, I snapped it up it for £2 and rushed home to start the mirror make over!

Mirror Makeover
Mirror Makeover

The first step is to cover the plain wood frame with paper.

Charity shop mirror bargain
Charity shop mirror bargain

Cut and glue plain paper to the areas you want to put tiles for good bond. I use photocopying paper cut to size and glued on to frame with Unibond PVA adhesive.

Glue paper to frame.
Glue paper to frame.

Once all covered with paper and dry to touch you can begin the fun part! I used a variety of 20 mm x 20 mm square vitreous glass tiles and there's no need to cut them. I used variety of warm and cool colors in a random pattern but you can choose any combination you like. Glue the paper as it saves time and continue to glue tiles onto paper in straight lines remembering to leave a small gap for grout cement in between each tile.

Position and glue mosaic tiles to frame
Position and glue mosaic tiles to frame

Make sure to tile all the edges of the frame for full color coverage.

Tile the edges
Tile the edges

When your tiles are dry and stuck firm, is time now to grout. I used Unibond tile ready mixed grout in Black.

I find an old credit card is great to apply grout onto tiles as its a bit flexible and thin to get into all the gaps.

Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Grouting the tiles

The grout will start to dry almost immediately so by the time you finished grouting is ready to start wiping of excess grout from your tiles where you began. I use wet wipes for convenience but you can use warm water and cloth if you prefer. (obviously dispose of grout appropriately e.g not in sink! )

Cleaning excess grout off tiles
Cleaning excess grout off tiles

I'm so so delighted with the final result. This mirror is truly transformed into something any wall would be proud to have hanging on it !

Mosaic Mirror makeover
Mosaic Mirror makeover

• Vitreous glass mosaic tiles 20 mm x 20 mm  (Amazon)
  • Unibond PVA adhesive  (Amazon)
  • White photocopy paper  (Tesco)

To see more: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/SusanGoodeDesigns

• Michelle Webster

Looks great! I dont understand why you would put the paper on....why not just attach with some tile adhesive?

• Susan Goode

Hi Michelle I find that It often gives a better more stable surface to stick tiles to especially if the surface is with some sheen or a bit too smooth. So it prevents tiles sliding about and It also helps me see the correct spacing and colour matching is much clearer on a blank white surface .

• Wendy

This is gorgeous, I love all of the bright colors!

• Kat Rogers

WOOW, Susan, SO Beautiful!

So, at first I was thinking Why Bother With The Grout? I'd just place the tiles right up against each other... BUT, Nooo, THE BLACK GROUT TOTALLY TAKES IT FROM GREAT TO STUNNING!

I have a large wood framed mirror that I painted several years ago... unfortunately the wood is cut somewhat decoratively and is not at all flat~ NOT at all conducive to placing tiles on! OOOH WELL, I GUESS I'LL NEED TO GO OUT AND BUY A MIRROR... YAY!

Thanks, And Happy New Year!

🐈