Asked on Jan 2, 2019

How do I keep my chickens from making a hole in my yard?

Craft InvadersLynn Sorrell

I just want them to move the “bathtub” to another part of the yard. But they seem insistent on going to the same spot! Help please?

• Lynn Sorrell

They love the dirt there must be right consistency for their bath,in nice sunny area, nice and fine,dry,already scratched up to desired consistency. Perfect for dusting feathers and skin. Leave them in their(?) favorite spot after all would you want to be taken out of your nice warm bath & moved to cold hard new tub. You might be able to put the dirt from that spot in big tub(cement mixing tub largest sized get at Lowes, Home Depot) and they might? go in there to get to favorite dirt. You'll need alot of it in tub to make them happy. Then fill in hole with heavier clay based soil. I love chickens

• Lynn Sorrell

They are fine in the weather they know when to come in, not exactly a dumb bird I had 12 hens 1 rooster one time & 3 actually knew their names,one could do a few tricks. Only thing to watch out for out in open is Hawks. Get the biggest size cement mixing tub,big/wide,solid, won't tip, low sides, easy to clean about 12-15 bucks,black to absorb heat.They probably like it out there because less stuff over area to get into fine dust dirt and in sun(it warms the dirt) These tubs make great litter boxes for cats inside(smaller size) and outside for free roaming cats so poop can easily be cleaned up.

• Craft Invaders

Could you cover it with paving slabs or similar until they adopt a new area. Alternatively as Lynn suggested fill a tub with tempting soil but put it somewhere else. My chickens used to love wood ash so you could try that if you have access to it :)

• Colleen

I really like the idea of the cement tub and your idea of covering the hole/tub with something. I bet both of those ideas will work. I just want to move them out of the windy & snowy elements. Thank you 😊