Asked on Jan 3, 2019

How can I close off an upstairs space to use as a kid's hang out room?

KmdreamerNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CASlvanhouten
+3

I am making the upstairs bonus space into a hang out room for the kids. The ceiling is slanted and there is no door jam to add any type of door. The slanting ceiling encroaches on the entrance into the room, so a curtain rod won't work either. My husband wants to nail an old quilt up and call it a day, but I want it to look nice, so that won't work. Ideas please!Thanks

• Nan W.

What about using a folding screen?

• Steph

What about something like a Roman Shade? Or, perhaps you can mount a curtain rod either on the outside or the inside of the room and pick out/ make some pretty drapes & tie backs...

• Rita Yandell

Could you use a pocket door?

• Slvanhouten

Thanks everyone, but none of those suggestions will work. The slant of the ceiling cuts in to the opening. So there is an angle from 4ft to 10 feet at the opening. You have to lean a little to step in.

A folding screen would have to be 4 feet tall max for the slant side and that wouldn't be private. Same issue with a roman shade or drapes or a pocket door.

• Hire a contractor to come out and finish it off for you. Less money than you might imagine. Get a few estimates from licensed contractors.

• Kmdreamer

Try a tension rod like one from a shower curtain hang a sheet or curtain from it