Rr
Rr
  • La Jolla, CA
Asked on Jan 3, 2019

How to make your socket plates the color of your painted walls?

RrOliva2dogal
+6

I did paint my cover with Zinzer, then the wall paint color. it came off. I tried it again with a coat of clear silicone over the paint.. it still looked horrible. Any ideas?

• Morgan McBride

You could try contact paper.

• Rr

thank you. I wanted the exact paint color of my walls. I looked at UTUBE and saw simple just spray paint from the can, or buy several items to do the same.

• Liz R.

Latex will peel off. Use a different kind of paint.

• Lifestyles Homes

There’s light switch plates that are made to have wallpaper inserted in them, kind-of like a picture frame with clear plastic over the wall paper.

I would paint thin cardstock the wall color, let it dry and then cut to size & insert it into a wallpaper-type switch plate.

• Pamela

Hi ! Did you scuff the plate with some sandpaper first , that helps the paint to stick . Or you can scuff it first , then use a coat of primer , when that is dry , paint with the wall paint . 😊

• 2dogal

Face plates are plastic - you need a plastic paint. Then put a coat of polyurethane on top to protect the paint.

Most people do not bother painting the wall plates as it's hard to paint the switches and keep the paint from peeling.

• Oliva

You may have better luck with porcelain, resin, glass, or metal plates.

• Rr

Thank you, I will look for these today at HD