How to Tint Glass Jars

$10

I save all my glass jars, they come in handy for decorating and organizing all kinds of things. Did you know you can tint glass jars to dress up your decor? Learn this simple trick for adding beautiful transparent color to glass jars.

how to tint glass jars

Just a few of the jars I've collected over the years.

how to tint glass jars

T tint glass jars, start with glass stain and add a few drops to the inside of a clean jar.

how to tint glass jars

Slowly swirl the gel around the inside of the jar until it is evenly coated.

how to tint glass jars

Hold the jar upside down and let any excess drip out onto a paper towel. Then let the jar sit upside down until it is dry. You can also stand the jar right side up but some of the remaining tint may pool in the bottom.

There is no need to bake or cure these jars any further once they are dry.

how to tint glass jars
how to tint glass jars

These tinted glass jars are a fun way to dress up my decor. I like the pastel colors for a spring centerpiece or mantle. Blue looks lovely with white and silver winter decor too.

Since the inside of the jars are tinted they cannot be used as vases, no water allowed! But you can add decorative items to the inside.

Sarah Vanderkooy

• Pamela

Very nice !!!

I never knew about glass stain !!!

Can you store food in them once you've stained them ?

• CarlyTee

Just acrylic paint would work Kimmyk. But I think you missed the point... she wanted to use a glass stain!

• Cathy Gibson

Instead of coating the inside of the jar, can it be painted on the outside instead?

• Bjb33208549

I used glass spray paint on the outside of different glass bottles and vases and they are beautiful.

• April Chavez

Can you use them for tea candles?

• Sarah Vanderkooy

I'll get the materials list updated so there isn't more confusion, thanks for letting us know!

• Lesley Barnes

I Love flower arranging, but haven’t thought of doing anything for my front door until now ! Other than traditional wreaths. Fabulous idea, I would love to have a go, hope it turns out as great as yours has! Beautiful. X